Do you have tattoos?

Yes.
 22 (36.7%)
No, Never.
 23 (38.3%)
No, but maybe in the future.
 15 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Any Soo- to-be Lawyers with Ink?  (Read 10781 times)

philosophia

• Please. Just. Don't.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Any Soo- to-be Lawyers with Ink?
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2008, 08:50:31 PM »
I am a woman with tats and agree that in a prof environment it is risky to show them.  This includes bbqs, picnics, and the like.  However, if you are in a firm where you think others will judge you for having them if they are visible in these settings, then that is distasteful closed-mindedness they should be ashamed of.  Nonetheless, I'm not too sure I would want to risk being ostracized by my colleagues.

Will I put on a skirt and hose/stockings/tights/WTF-ever KNOWINGLY due to a judge's bias?  Probably not, but I wear skirts anyway. 

If you never want to be in a courtroom, fine, but I think that it takes some conformity to openly and knowingly choose a profession in such a conservative field anyway, so I don't see the problem with sacrificing your own personal world view for the sake of a client.  I'm not in school yet, but isn't this part of advocacy in general- i.e. putting ones own PERSONAL views in the background to do what's best for your clients' needs and wants (of course within ethical allowance)?!?!

bucky

• badgerbadgerbadger
    • AOL Instant Messenger - you+have+to+ask.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2008, 09:20:12 AM »
has anyone else seen this book?  its basically a photobook of professionals with tats put together by a lawyer working for a large firm who also clerked for a federal judge at one point.

http://inkedinc.com/index.html

http://inkedinc.com/about.html

We have recently learned that bucky rocks out pretty hard.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2008, 09:24:48 AM »
Oh, that is a beautiful book. A favorite of mine.

derby

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2008, 10:09:34 AM »
thanks that was really awesome...
I guess my point was that there may be other reasons you may not want to show your tats but other peoples prejudices shouldnt be the benchmark.
ie for a client at a jury trial.. arbitration etc...
but I like being openly queer w/tats and a single mother of a toddler at the top of my class. Maybe it proves to all those kids who from the day they started at their prep school were told they would be professionals that the world cant be viewed through a static value paradigm set up to reward a chosen few that look the part.
my .02

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2008, 12:54:14 PM »
Maybe it proves to all those kids who from the day they started at their prep school were told they would be professionals that the world cant be viewed through a static value paradigm set up to reward a chosen few that look the part.
my .02

Or it just proves to them that if you're undeniably good at something, you can get away with a lot of stuff that the average person can't.  It's good to be good.

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2008, 01:17:31 PM »
I am a woman with tats and agree that in a prof environment it is risky to show them.  This includes bbqs, picnics, and the like.  However, if you are in a firm where you think others will judge you for having them if they are visible in these settings, then that is distasteful closed-mindedness they should be ashamed of.  Nonetheless, I'm not too sure I would want to risk being ostracized by my colleagues.

I really think this non-judgmentalism movement is ridiculous.  It was your voluntary decision to get tattoos.  You knew or should have known what many professionals think of them.  Now you are claiming victim status?  That is BS.  Someone's opinion that tattoos are unprofessional and distasteful is no more shameful than your opinion that they aren't.  You made your bed, now sleep in it.  You look very trendy in a coffee bar drinking an $8 Venti-frippy-frapo and listening to Jazz, and in many people's eyes you look unprofessional showing your tattoos in a business setting.  It is a compromise you made.

derby

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2008, 01:48:54 PM »
I dont think any of "us" have claimed to be victims. If anything we are empowered by our decision to be ourselves regardless of the possibly narrow views held by others in our field.
your stance is fairly predictable though...those defending the SQ immediately accuse the "other" of playing the victim card.
I could care less whether you accept me or not and I was encouraging the party who began this thread to embrace whatever stance she wanted to regarding her tats.

I think grades and attitude don't lie, if you have those everything else is icing on the cake, or something your willing to overlook.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2008, 01:57:27 PM »

I really think this non-judgmentalism movement is ridiculous. 

most judgmental people do!   :D
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2008, 02:07:47 PM »
I think grades and attitude don't lie, if you have those everything else is icing on the cake, or something your willing to overlook.

clients and jurors don't have your grades, your resume, or your last performance review. they have your attitude, sure. but how will their perception of your attitude be changed by a visible tattoo? it definitely isn't my opinion that it's right to hold a negative opinion because someone has a tattoo. just that it's unreasonable for someone who has a tattoo to think that no one ever will.

Goon wins the thread!
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

Jerrry

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2008, 02:14:39 PM »
I am curious to know everyone's thoughts about tattoos in the workplace. I met a few lawyers with half sleeves, and they said that they really don't get much attention about it. Are thoughts changing? Tattoos becoming less taboo?

I have tattoos, and I say it shouldn't matter so long as they aren't offensive or fully on display...

Thoughts?

Thing is, tattoos are stereotyped with certain people, think of tattoos, think of rockstars, think of tattoos, think of drug users, finally think of tattoos, think of 50 cent and Eminem. A lawyer don't want to be seen by clients in that light. I have got a tattoo but well hidden. Want to work in legal line? Take the compromise, no tattoo on your forehead.
Nothing is good or bad, thinking makes it so.