Do you have tattoos?

Yes.
 22 (36.7%)
No, Never.
 23 (38.3%)
No, but maybe in the future.
 15 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Any Soo- to-be Lawyers with Ink?  (Read 10745 times)

StephanyDS

• Renegades of Funk
    • AOL Instant Messenger - StephanyDS
    • View Profile
    • Email
Any Soo- to-be Lawyers with Ink?
« on: July 03, 2008, 10:34:15 PM »
I am curious to know everyone's thoughts about tattoos in the workplace. I met a few lawyers with half sleeves, and they said that they really don't get much attention about it. Are thoughts changing? Tattoos becoming less taboo?

I have tattoos, and I say it shouldn't matter so long as they aren't offensive or fully on display...

Thoughts?
Man, there are some creepers out there...

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Any Soo- to-be Lawyers with Ink?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
half the people in my class have ink, one guy has full sleeves.

most of us girls have something on the ankle or the back.  i have cherry blossoms on my shoulder blade.   nothing noticeable unless im in a formal.  besides, i think its tasteful  ;)
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

mqt

• Sr. Citizen
  • cellar door
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 10:51:57 PM »
half the people in my class have ink, one guy has full sleeves.

most of us girls have something on the ankle or the back.  i have cherry blossoms on my shoulder blade.   nothing noticeable unless im in a formal.  besides, i think its tasteful  ;)

Right, because nothing's more tasteful, elegant, and classy than a girl showing tats in an evening gown. 

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 11:06:35 PM »
One on my back and one on my forearm; both are invisible in a suit.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 11:35:15 PM »
I have two. One very small piece of flash (my first outing) on my left hip. It's pretty lame, but has sentimental value for me at this point. It is 20 years old this year.

I waited many years to get my other piece. It is a V shaped belt that goes all the way around my waist. 3 large roses in front, 3 large roses in back. The vines and leaves are the sides. Love it. Invisible in anything other than a bathing suit, very short shirt, or naked.

StephanyDS

• Renegades of Funk
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 11:52:51 PM »
So would slightly visible tattoos be inappropriate? I say no, so long as they are tasteful?

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 12:01:10 AM »
Absolutely inappropriate, as well as a pain in the ass. For every job where a small tasteful tattoo doesn't matter, there will be many more where it is unacceptable. You will end up having to hide it or cover it up.

Don't forget, for a lot people (including clients) there is no such thing as a tasteful tattoo.

StephanyDS

• Renegades of Funk
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 12:17:05 AM »
Interesting...ok, what about those instances where a tattoo would show (i.e. company picnic, weddings, etc)...do you think that people who knew and worked with you for a while would think differently?

I am interested in these answers because I am currently in the process of completing the first draft for a half sleeve. I am going to do it no matter what, and inevitably it will show at some point, but I am curious what other people think.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 12:26:22 AM »
Yes, they will think about you differently. Law is a very conservative profession. Women in the law are faced with quite a few unique issues.

Believe me, I would think you rock. Lots of people would. My inherent bias is that it would be less risky if you are interested in pursuing PI. For a female associate at a firm? No.

Of course, you should do what makes the most sense to you. You can always wear opaque, long sleeves. Will you want to at a summer wedding? What if there is a BBQ by a pool?

You can see that it is a big decision that has a lot of repercussions on your life. why not wait, see where you end up and what you think they will make of it before committing?

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 12:48:14 AM »
A website for you: http://inkedinc.com/

I have more ink than most ladies, but it's well hidden.
And I happen to love sleeves, but if it's ever me with the sleeve, I'll never let it show in my professional life (firm picnic? I'm wearing 3/4 sleeves, thanks!) and I'd probably be shy to show it in other circumstances too. But I bet there are a few niches where tattoos actually work for a person...
CLS 2011