Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is being 30 when I start LS a disadvantage for getting a big firm position?  (Read 2109 times)

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Some say yes, some say no, some say the work experience is actually a plus.  Thoughts? 

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Some say yes, some say no, some say the work experience is actually a plus.  Thoughts? 

I was about that age when I started law school. Age, so far, has been a non-issue job wise for me. Granted though, I have not focused much on big law, mostly becuase I'm too old/have to much experince to put up with being a peon again, I did my time sucking up, did it one summer in law school, just not willing to do it for a job anymore.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

robelguapo

• View Profile
I hope not....

<--------32, 1L in August.

;D

1lstudent

• View Profile
    • Email
at big firms, ageism could be an issue for those 30 and over who are just starting out (most big firms tend to recruit people in their 20s for entry level).

sortofnewls

• View Profile
at big firms, ageism could be an issue for those 30 and over who are just starting out (most big firms tend to recruit people in their 20s for entry level).

Sorry, this is just not true.  I just graduated, am 30 and have a biglaw job.  My age was not at issue at all during interviews - at least I have to presume its not given I had a number of callbacks and offers from bigger firms.  Its all about your personality etc and how you will fit.  That said, if you were 60 maybe there would be a problme, but I'd like to think that at least at the firm I am at, this wouldn't be an issue either.

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Well, 30 is a little different from 33.  You started law school at 27, only making you 2 or 3 years older than the average age.  Still, your point is probably true.

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
 :D...30 is the new 65.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Coming out of retirement to address this one. 

I turned 30 my first semester of 1L, and am doing NYC biglaw now for my 2L summer.  My sense was that maybe, possibly my age and experience hurt a little during OCI - but I still ended up at my 1st choice firm.  More importantly, my age and experience have DEFINITELY been to my advantage this summer, and while there's the occasional weird "you're 25 and giving me assignments" moment, it's generally been an amazing experience. 
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

archival

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • intj
Coming out of retirement to address this one. 

I turned 30 my first semester of 1L, and am doing NYC biglaw now for my 2L summer. My sense was that maybe, possibly my age and experience hurt a little during OCI - but I still ended up at my 1st choice firm.  More importantly, my age and experience have DEFINITELY been to my advantage this summer, and while there's the occasional weird "you're 25 and giving me assignments" moment, it's generally been an amazing experience. 

My sense is that women in their 30s are at a disadvantage at OCI.  My sample was quite small, so take that with lots of salt.
But how do you deal with someone who rejects your broad moral principles?
I kill them.

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

My sense is that women in their 30s are at a disadvantage at OCI.  My sample was quite small, so take that with lots of salt.

I have heard this. I've heard people recommend that you 'forget' to wear your ring (if there's a ring) on the day of your interviews. Sad but true.