Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Brooklyn Law Fans...  (Read 429 times)

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Brooklyn Law Fans...
« on: July 03, 2008, 05:37:44 PM »
Is BLS worth it, full-price, over a half-price T3??  Many people say the job prospects are similar, and the T3 would allow me to save money and compete against lesser students.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Brooklyn Law Fans...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 11:34:49 PM »
I'm not sure.  This is a difficult decision.  I suppose it depends in part on whether the T3 is in an area where you'd like to practice; unranked schools are very local.  I also wonder if there are any strings attached to your scholarship.  If you are only likely to save half tuition for one year, I'd choose BLS.  If you are likely to save all three years, it could be worth it.

Finally, I caution you about assuming that the other students at the T3 would be "lesser students."  For one, entry credentials are just not that precise a diagnostic tool.  Also, the savviest students at the T3 will understand how important it is for them to be near the top of the class, and they will therefore compete that much harder.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 11:43:17 PM »
MissP, the school is in the NYC region (that narrows it down to 3 basically).  The scholarship is based on a 3.0, and 2/3 of last year's Merit Scholarship recipients kept theirs.

On the other hand, many people seem to regard Top 100 schools as higher in reputation, though I'm not sure if that correlates to jobs very well.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 11:51:34 PM »
MissP, the school is in the NYC region (that narrows it down to 3 basically).  The scholarship is based on a 3.0, and 2/3 of last year's Merit Scholarship recipients kept theirs.

On the other hand, many people seem to regard Top 100 schools as higher in reputation, though I'm not sure if that correlates to jobs very well.

Well, first, forgive me for my rudeness: I should have congratulated you first.  Congratulations, Madness.

I really don't know how to assess job prospects outside my narrow path of interest.  It is probably worth looking at as many statistics as you can get a hand on and trying to talk to alumni to get their impressions.  I would also ask each school to compare itself to the other.  If you have a pretty good sense of what you want, it may be instructive to hear how the schools characterize their own strengths, etc.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 02:52:23 AM »
Which T3?
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.