Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need a little help  (Read 756 times)

murph011

• View Profile
    • Email
Need a little help
« on: July 03, 2008, 05:37:07 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am kind of new to the law school search so you guys may have to bear with me a bit if I have to many questions. I recently received my LSAT score earlier today and got a disappointing 150. I just graduated from the University of Alabama in May with a 3.44 in Criminal Justice as well as a minor in Computer Science. I am currently trying to find schools through the princetonreview.com website and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I am originally from the Atlanta area and would like to stay in the southeast, but not necessarily tied down to the area. I was looking at Loyola (New Orleans) and Memphis, but with my recent score not to sure the likelihood of getting into either one. If anyone has any suggestions into what schools to look at I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if anyone has any information on the likelihood of transferring from school to school I would also appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Need a little help
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 02:28:21 AM »
If you haven't already seen it, look at the LSAC UGPA/LSAT Search Tool:

http://officialguide.lsac.org/UGPASearch/LSATGPA.aspx?ref=inline&sidstring=

The general wisdom on transferring is to not count on it. Of course, if you do well, you can transfer to a better school, but don't bet the farm on it.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

jwhennin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 02:35:54 AM »
Mississippi College would be a good choice for your lsat score, if you don't mind paying the private school tuition.

As far as transferring,I wouldn't count on it, you usually have to be near the top of your class from what I hear.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 02:40:51 AM »
Mississippi College would be a good choice for your lsat score, if you don't mind paying the private school tuition.

As far as transferring,I wouldn't count on it, you usually have to be near the top of your class from what I hear.

If you plan to head to Mississippi, it's Ole Miss or nothing.

Go Reb's.

murph011

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 01:38:12 PM »
Thanks for the input. I did take a prep course (Kaplan) and was scoring 154 to 155 on mine practice test. That is why I was disappointed. I'm not like a lot of you guys on here that are scoring in the 170's. Thanks for the information though on the transferring information. Also does anyone know the likelihood say if I was able to make a schools average GPA but their LSAT was around a 155? I realize each school is different, but does anyone know on average about how far most school's are willing to stray from their average LSAT? Thanks again for the info!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 03:00:01 PM »
Thanks for the input. I did take a prep course (Kaplan) and was scoring 154 to 155 on mine practice test. That is why I was disappointed. I'm not like a lot of you guys on here that are scoring in the 170's. Thanks for the information though on the transferring information. Also does anyone know the likelihood say if I was able to make a schools average GPA but their LSAT was around a 155? I realize each school is different, but does anyone know on average about how far most school's are willing to stray from their average LSAT? Thanks again for the info!

Remember, there's a 25% LSAT that schools report as well. And that means a quarter of everyone that got into a school had a score equal to or less than that number.

murph011

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 05:10:59 PM »
Don't worry about all the 170+s around here. They'll go away eventually.

Some schools place more emphasis on GPA than LSAT, and some schools let people in as long as one of the two is within or above their median. Meaning if the school's median GPA is 3.4 and the LSAT median is 155, they might let someone in with numbers like yours. Do you have anything else in your background that makes you an attractive candidate?

To be honest with you, though, your GPA is solid but not great (I'm not hating - mine was 2.7). Would you consider re-taking the LSAT in October to try and get your score up? We can help you with your test prep.

Yea I checked out that website and it was definitely a big help. I don't plan on re-taking the LSAT if I don't have to. I'm not looking to land in a big time firm, but rather I plan on using a JD degree to propel me into one of the government agencies (FBI, CIA, DEA or JAG lawyer).

In regard to my backround. I worked for the Tuscaloosa Public Defenders office for an internship, and had a very hands on position helping the attorneys with case preperation. I also was a member of criminal justice honor society as well as multiple academic honor roll awards. Does stuff like that really help?

Again thank you guys so much for all of your input.

murph011

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 05:19:23 PM »
Hey,
I saw Ninja's website and it definitely was a big help. Thanks for posting that Ninja.

As for my background I worked at the Tuscaloosa Public Defenders office while I was in school, and had a very hands on position in case preperation. I have a lot of experience in that regard. I also was in a Criminal Justice Honor society as well as many dean's list awards.

I don't anticipate taking the LSAT again. I'm not looking to land in a big time firm, but rather I would like to use a JD to land me in one of the federal agencies (CIA, FBI, DEA or even a JAG lawyer). With these agencies you can either become a cop first and gain that experience or you can go to law school and gain experience in that way. haha I choose the latter. That is why Loyola appeals to me so much because they specialize in international law.

Thanks again for your all of your input. You guys have been very helpful.

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 06:04:49 PM »
Don't worry about all the 170+s around here. They'll go away eventually.

Some schools place more emphasis on GPA than LSAT, and some schools let people in as long as one of the two is within or above their median. Meaning if the school's median GPA is 3.4 and the LSAT median is 155, they might let someone in with numbers like yours. Do you have anything else in your background that makes you an attractive candidate?

To be honest with you, though, your GPA is solid but not great (I'm not hating - mine was 2.7). Would you consider re-taking the LSAT in October to try and get your score up? We can help you with your test prep.

Yea I checked out that website and it was definitely a big help. I don't plan on re-taking the LSAT if I don't have to. I'm not looking to land in a big time firm, but rather I plan on using a JD degree to propel me into one of the government agencies (FBI, CIA, DEA or JAG lawyer).

In regard to my backround. I worked for the Tuscaloosa Public Defenders office for an internship, and had a very hands on position helping the attorneys with case preperation. I also was a member of criminal justice honor society as well as multiple academic honor roll awards. Does stuff like that really help?

Again thank you guys so much for all of your input.

With regards to admissions...not tremendously.  The experience at the PD's office will certainly help you in other ways though.
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

whoknows123

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 11:42:45 AM »
Maybe this will help... I scored 150 on the LSAT and had a 3.92 GPA from Ole Miss.  Rejected from Memphis.  Accepted at Mississippi College.  Waitlisted at UALR and then accepted to part time program.  Waitlisted and then accepted at Ole Miss.  I'm going to Ole Miss.