Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The "I scored way below my practice range" thread  (Read 5292 times)

BarryLaine

• Sr. Citizen
  • "My aim is true..."
    • View Profile
Re: The "I scored way below my practice range" thread
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2008, 04:55:39 PM »
See ya in October!  I was testing between 162 and 167 and wound up with a 159...ouch!  My brain turned off during logic games which were last for me...I should have rocked that section...but I didn't.

pinagham

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2008, 04:49:55 AM »
how is everyone, that is planning to retake, planning to study? 

what do you do when you've gone through all the practice tests?

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2008, 10:10:45 AM »

Do them again.  There are 40+ available - you're not going to remember all the questions.  Save 40-55 for the final six weeks before the test.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

legends159

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2008, 01:52:39 PM »

Do them again.  There are 40+ available - you're not going to remember all the questions.  Save 40-55 for the final six weeks before the test.

I'm gonna redo tests (with 30 minute sections)I've done before with the intention of getting every single question correct. That's not easy to do even if you have seen them before.

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 02:09:10 PM »
There are definitely still some practice tests that I haven't done yet.  I'll start with the older ones and do the more recent ones in September.  I'll probably put more of a time constraint on myself, as in less then 35 minutes, to put more pressure on myself.  I generally didn't have problems finishing sections, but I was having a lot of difficulty with that on the June test.

TimMitchell

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 02:16:20 PM »
I'm in for Oct. I think my biggest mistake was I did practice tests 1-25 plus a couple in the thirties. I didn't realize the test had changed so much, such as less LG questions and comparitive reading. None of my practice had comparitive. I just ordered the most recent 10 plus LRB.

bt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »

I've done preptests 7-53 and I just did 54 (June 08).  I plan on doing them all over again with 30 minutes per section and going over each problem afterwards really carefully.  I've asked this alot, but does anyone know if there really are preptests 1-6 and 8?  I know they're old and different, but I could really use some fresh material to have towards October that I can use just to totally gauge myself. 

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2008, 02:31:56 PM »
I have never seen the really early tests.

lollypotter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2008, 02:35:41 PM »
In for Oct.

Scoring in the 170s and got a 168. Gonna widen my revision; read the NY times editorials and do RC anaysis on them (main point, purpose of each paragraph, author's attitude etc), take a formal logic class and play daily sudoku. Work out at the gym every day and take 2 tests a week and deconstruct them.

Feel like my timing was off - pulled horrific LR sections,like I haven't since I started prepping.

Feeling ok though - as a 3.6/168 URM (black), I think I'm good for a good part of the t-14 anyway. Seems like most schools take the higher as well. Would really like t6 though.
Homer & Bart: Lisa's going to Stanford, Lisa's going to Stanford...
Lisa: Take it back!
Homer:... Stanford!

FatUncle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2008, 02:39:56 PM »
I'm in for Oct. I think my biggest mistake was I did practice tests 1-25 plus a couple in the thirties. I didn't realize the test had changed so much, such as less LG questions and comparitive reading. None of my practice had comparitive. I just ordered the most recent 10 plus LRB.

Wow dude.  That was definitely your problem - no question about it in my mind.  There was a sharp decline in my score when I went from the practice tests from the 90s to those from 2003 and on.  That decline wasn't permanent, it just took practice to adjust to how different the tests were.  If you got a 165 on the actual test and were scoring in the 170s on the older ones, though, I think you're in pretty good shape and probably don't need to study a ton; you have the all the skills you will need already, you just need to get familiar and comfortable with the newer tests and you'll be fine.  I get a feeling of exhaustion from just imagining myself attempting to study for a re-take; if I was in your position I would forget about this test entirely for a month and not let the June 08 test mess with my confidence (165 is a pretty good score anyway, especially considering you hadn't done the most recent tests).