Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The "I scored way below my practice range" thread  (Read 5325 times)

ak362

• View Profile
    • Email
The "I scored way below my practice range" thread
« on: July 03, 2008, 04:38:34 PM »
I didn't see one on the boards, but feel free to shut this one down if one's already milling about.

So, I scored way below what I normally scored on my practice tests... the rule of -3 on test day applied... to my very FIRST (and lowest) practice test score. Scored -13 below my last practice test, so I am incredibly bummed.

Who's with me for October?

legends159

• View Profile
Re: The "I scored way below my practice range" thread
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 04:56:18 PM »
162! Completely in shock because I was averaging 170 on PTs (Last PT #53 I scored 172). Nerves got the better of me. The same LR questions I would usually knock out in my sleep I was getting wrong.

RC -6 Cakewalk and Comparative
LR -7 3 out of first 10 wrong. Got all the easy questions wrong because I was rushing.
LR -5 Very upset at myself for getting 5 wrong on such an easy LR section.
LG -2 I was always getting -0 and a few times -1. Just made some really stupid careless mistakes.

Will retake in October. Hopefully if I break 170 with my UGPA (3.965) I can get into a t-14 school (Hoping for Columbia, NYU, Boalt)

itswhatever

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 05:15:23 PM »
 >:( >:( >:(

My score dropped 10 points. I'm really upset and don't know what happened. I guess my nerves got the best of me. I guess I'm retaking it in October!

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 05:54:47 PM »
Yeah I will be retaking in October. I don't believe this has completely screwed over my chances at getting into a T14 or even a HYS school. It's just a massive hassle because now I've got to study through the summer and hopefully write an addendum explaining how I jumped from a 159 (which I got today) to a 180 (Hopefully what i'll achieve in Oct!) My 159 is 15 lower than my last practice test and 10 lower than my PT average. I honestly am not sure what happened. I didn't feel at the time that nerves got the best of me. As far as I could tell, it was the time crunch at the end and not quite being sure whether I had 1.5 minutes left or 30 seconds. All my mistakes were near the end of my sections.

mantypants

• I know my rights, I watch People's Court.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 06:06:50 PM »
Yeah I will be retaking in October. I don't believe this has completely screwed over my chances at getting into a T14 or even a HYS school. It's just a massive hassle because now I've got to study through the summer and hopefully write an addendum explaining how I jumped from a 159 (which I got today) to a 180 (Hopefully what i'll achieve in Oct!) My 159 is 15 lower than my last practice test and 10 lower than my PT average. I honestly am not sure what happened. I didn't feel at the time that nerves got the best of me. As far as I could tell, it was the time crunch at the end and not quite being sure whether I had 1.5 minutes left or 30 seconds. All my mistakes were near the end of my sections.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. My practice scores were about 10 pts higher than my 162.
RC -7 I missed the last 4 questions (ran out of time and just filled in randomly)
LR -2 What I've been getting on practice tests
LR -10 That's right 10!! 9 of them between 10-22. I must have taken a nap...
LG -1 I was missing 2-4 on my practice tests.

I left feeling good and expecting to miss 7-12, not 20. I'll be taking again in October....

Dr_Nex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 07:23:17 PM »
175.. kinda disappointing because my practice tests were 178, 179. But OK I guess.

What schools am I good for?

175, 3.847 GPA (Magna Cum Laude) with a Double Major in Business Econ and Political Science from UCLA. What do you guys think?

I incidentally missed 4 questions alone on Reading Comp. Sucked.

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 07:46:35 PM »
I don't know why you make a joke like that in this thread as opposed to the main score thread, where I think it would be funnier and have more impact but meh.   :P

Manytpants - I hear you. I got -5 wrong on LG. Normally I'm 0, or perhaps -1. -2 is the most I've had wrong in that section in a long time. For all the other sections I seemed to have regressed to the scores I was getting 2 weeks before writing. -5 LR, -7 RC. Whereas the week before the test I was getting -1 RC and -2 LR. WTF?! Ah well, I'm trying to allow myself to deconstruct tonight to start over tomorrow and I do have prep materials left to go through. Just hoping to overcompensate in October will make up for my 159 and of course, it will give me another addendum to write....

legends159

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 07:50:32 PM »
It's weird, but I think choking so badly might help me in the long run b/c I know I am definitely retaking and I know I must do and most likely will do MUCH BETTER so that's comforting and will hopefully help relieve my anxiety/stress come test day.

On the other hand, if I had gotten a 169 and was aiming for a 170, I would be incredibly stressed out come test-day thinking...should I have really registered? Should I cancel? What if I score lower?

With a 162 my back is against the wall. It's October or bust and I like that mindset. Without an option for canceling will help me.

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 07:59:13 PM »
yeah legends that's a good way of looking at it. I know I'm not on the edge of should I or shouldn't I retake. This is what it all comes down to. And I've posted all my numbers on LSN because whatever, that's life. Sometimes you practice hard and give it what you have and it just doesn't come together. It doesn't mean you give up on the dream or are rubbish or can't be an amazing 1L who goes on to be a Supreme Court justice and is the most amazing justice in the history of the US. You have a drink, pull yourself together, practice harder than before and then execute it. What else can you do really?

Kels

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 08:13:58 PM »
Yea I'm pretty depressed. I was averaging 168 and just got a 163. -6 RC, -4LR, -7LR, -1LG. What the @#!* ever. I really don't know whether or not to retake.