School Specific Boards > Temple

Need help to decide if I should go to Temple?

<< < (2/3) > >>

MMP:
Thanks to all for the advice... I am actually not interested in practicing in Cincinnati and the main reason I applied there was because my sibling lives there and is actually a 3L at Ucinn. Can you recommend any neighborhoods in Philly?

THANKS FOR YOUR FEEDBACK!

Maddie:

--- Quote from: MMP on July 11, 2008, 01:00:54 AM ---Thanks to all for the advice... I am actually not interested in practicing in Cincinnati and the main reason I applied there was because my sibling lives there and is actually a 3L at Ucinn. Can you recommend any neighborhoods in Philly?

--- End quote ---

MMP-

I will be starting law school at Temple in the fall.  There are people on here who probably know way more about various Philly neighborhoods than I do, but I found a Center City studio just east of Rittenhouse and really like it.  Most people I spoke to recommended either Center City, Old City (expensive though), Northern Liberties or Manayunk.  Also, for specific information on Philly check out Phillyblog.com forums, they have a section to ask for advice on neighborhoods, as well as maps of the city that are helpful for gaining persepctive on locations.

dischord:

--- Quote from: MMP on July 11, 2008, 01:00:54 AM ---Thanks to all for the advice... I am actually not interested in practicing in Cincinnati and the main reason I applied there was because my sibling lives there and is actually a 3L at Ucinn. Can you recommend any neighborhoods in Philly?

--- End quote ---

It really depends on your budget, whether you want to live alone, and how you see yourself commuting (do you have a car, are you okay with taking the bus).  For example, the poster above mentioned Manayunk, which is a really cool area but a TOTAL pain the the ass to get to without a car.  Philly is a really cheap city, so it's actually feasible to live in some of the nicest neighborhoods in town for well under $1000/mo., but on the other hand you can save a LOT of money if you live somewhere that's not as ritzy.

mutual_biscuit:
I recommend the Art Museum/Fairmount area. Only problem is it's difficult to hit Temple up from here via public transportation, but it's a quick bike ride or easy auto drive. It's a quiet neighborhood with a real neighborhood feel, some good neighborhoody bars/restaurants, close proximity to Fairmount Park, affordable and handsome rentals, and still only a stones throw away from Center City.

cwhelan:
Returning to your earlier concern, I just feel the need to reassure you again... maybe it's because I work in good old Bawlmer.. but you will pick up where you should NOT be very quickly around a city like Philly or Baltimore.. and the truth is, the violence doesnt affect us, usually.. it is very much local-on-local, neighbor-on-neighbor crime.. that's the tragedy. But you should be fine.
One note: of the most common things in Baltimore, and I bet Philly, is larceny from vehicles. The thing is, drug addicts congregate in these cities, and drug addicts will do ANYTHING for a fix. Anything. If you leave ANYTHING out inside your car, it doesnt even matter if it has value or not, a pair of cheap sunglasses.. you may find your window punched out. Cars just provide 'easy access stuff' for people trying to shill things for drugs. Not meant to scare you! It's just a problem that can be EASILY ameliorated... leave NOTHING.. even totally worthless stuff... in your car.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version