Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Temple Law School or University of Cincinnati?  (Read 470 times)

MMP

• View Profile
Temple Law School or University of Cincinnati?
« on: July 03, 2008, 12:57:01 PM »
Here is the thing... I was accepted at both schools with partial scholarships turn out to be pretty much the same in tuition. As you may know, both schools are pretty comparable in general terms, but there are a couple of differences in my case:

I am currently in South Florida. In Cincinnati I have a sibling that is a 3L  at the University of Cincinnati, who could be like a mentor for me; however, I am not too convinced about living in Cincinnati. Actually, I am interested in a getting a job in the DC/Northern Virginia/Maryland region after graduation.

In Philadelphia, I do not have any family or know anyone, but I like the big city vibe it has(except the issue of crime) and it is in the north east! Temple admitts about 1,000 students per year (U Cincinnati admits less than half of that).

Would you take advantage of the mentoring and family comfort and go to UCinncinati? I was considering doing that for the first year and then transferring, but that can be tricky, right? Or do you consider that the "mentoring" will not make too much of a difference academically. Also, I am concerned  that the first year of law school together with moving to a big city like Philly will be too overwhelming (I am a big baby apparently ;). Please share your experiences on that.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

OConnorScribe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Temple Law School or University of Cincinnati?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 01:49:16 PM »
Temple is a public university. Is Cincinnati? If not, then go to Temple for two reasons: 1. If you can establish residency by the beginning of second year, you get the in-state tuition and 2. Temple has a great rep in Philly and has a couple of nationally-ranked specialties, including IP, that could make you competitive in other major markets. They also have a unique first year curriculum, where you take both property and intellectual property second semester and Legal Research and Writing is broken out into its own two-semester suite. There is also a one-credit Business for Lawyers 1L requirement. This is quite unusual. 
Pace '10