Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Practicing Abroad  (Read 363 times)

redjay

• View Profile
Practicing Abroad
« on: July 03, 2008, 12:02:21 PM »
Does anyone know where I can find requirements needed to practice law abroad with a law degree from a US institution...I'm guessing it would require more schooling, but I'm interested in finding out out exactly how much, and what kind of programs these are...how long it takes? Interested in Switzerland, particularly...anybody have any info?

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Practicing Abroad
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 12:08:29 PM »
Do you want to work for a multinational corp or international law firm, or as a regular Swiss attorney?  Swiss law is based on civil law, versus common law. 

Cornell has a program which gets you trained in both common and civil law.  You need to be fluent in French, however.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

redjay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 12:14:12 PM »
Preferably International Law Firm...no on the fluency in French...no shot eh?

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 12:21:20 PM »
If you're planning on living in Switzerland, then you'll want to be fluent in either French or German (preferably both,) depending upon location, so there's still time to learn.  If you're working for an international firm, then they probably hired you, an American, for your common law background, and you'd be working on such cases whether you're in Geneva, Switzerland, or Geneva, New York.

If you want to actually practice Swiss law, you could go to university and get another degree (equivalent of a BA, as law is taught as an undergraduate "major" in Switzerland.)  Or you could apprentice with a local firm for a couple of years.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.