Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I was kicked out of my dorm as a sophomore  (Read 587 times)

wmost

• View Profile
I was kicked out of my dorm as a sophomore
« on: July 02, 2008, 10:13:02 PM »
(for drinking and possession, primarily) and then transferred to a different school. I understand that I have to report this on my application...but how badly will this hurt my chances of admission?

dsetterl

Re: I was kicked out of my dorm as a sophomore
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 10:23:26 PM »
Full disclosure and it won't.

wmost

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 10:28:19 PM »
I don't want to sound like I don't believe you (trust me, I'd like to), but won't it have any impact at all?

blues86

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 10:34:41 PM »
wmost, if you write a brief addendum basically explaining it away as a "young and immature, I've learned my lesson, and I've grown from my mistakes" sort of thing, I don't think it will be a problem.  Most law schools and employers know that students are sometimes liable to go a little crazy in undergrad, and I can't imagine that it will automatically exclude you from any law school.  I don't know anyone in this specific situation, but I do have friends that had school disciplinary records that have successfully entered the workforce in the financial sector (JP Morgan and Citi in particular are where two of my buddies with records ended up).  Cheers mate, and good luck.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 11:01:33 PM »
not mention homicide, though.

wmost

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 11:04:20 PM »
Oh, I have every intention of being as candid as possible on my application, I was just trying to find out what kind of an impact it would have. Thanks for your help.

TheMainEvent

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 12:12:40 AM »
(for drinking and possession, primarily) and then transferred to a different school. I understand that I have to report this on my application...but how badly will this hurt my chances of admission?

Dear Moron:

What are your numbers? A 2.8 and a 148 with that coupled in probably does not make you a competitive applicant. Although to be caught underage drinking and possession (of what exactly?) AFTER freshman year indicates an inability to mature. Transferring also seems to imply there is more than you're letting on.

Ask an intelligent question and you might get a better answer.
The notions of trying frivolous civil suits and intense criminal cases are the reasons I pursue the practice of law.

Ego, Sound Advice, and Put-Downs for all!