Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: General questions regarding securing employment  (Read 2544 times)

AssaultAndBattery

• View Profile
    • Email
General questions regarding securing employment
« on: July 02, 2008, 09:15:03 PM »
I am currently working with this solo and he is a feminine hygiene product and is the atypical lawyer that people make jokes about. He is pompous, rude, and unfriendly and just cares about the dollar. And boy is he cheap!

Nevertheless, I am trying to not let that effect my experience.

I have a couple questions that maybe someone can address. 

I. As an incoming 2L, what is the process to begin looking for permanent employment?

II. When can a incoming 2L begin applying for permenant employment and how would one go about asking firms and offices if they are hiring? Via email or conventional letter?

III. When someone says permenant employment, is that strictly referring to summer associate positions? If not, what other type of permenant employment is there?

Thanks guys for the helpful info as always.

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: General questions regarding securing employment
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 11:02:39 PM »
just curious as to what makes the dude such a "db" and cheap?
Boalt Hall '10

ithappensforareason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 11:41:46 PM »

Yea. Maybe OP, you overreacting?  ???

AssaultAndBattery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 11:50:47 PM »

Well, for one he treats everyone, including employees and clients like inferior beings. He talks down to us as if we are retarded 1st graders and he is extremely rude. When he asks someone to do something, he demands it and does not use normal customary words of appreciaton, " please", "thank you" etc. Instead, these are replaced with DO this now and about time.

As far as cheap, he refuses to buy toner and makes the employees shake the toner cartridge and unscrew it to release more toner using there hands to move the toner around so it lasts 3 more uses. . He makes us recycle tape. Thats right tape. As in remove tape from a case binder and apply it to a new case binder.

He pays a relatively low hourly wage for the amount of work required and refuses to turn on the AC on 110 degree days in SO CAL.

His computers are from 1996 running windows 98 and he refuses to upgrade making the system dreadfully slow trying to use the legal software which he did not purchase the registration key for but rather has been running the trial version illegally for years.

I can elaborate further if you like.  :D

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 11:22:39 AM »
I don't blame a solo for being cheap - sometimes they have to scrape by.

But there's no excuse for being a feminine hygiene product.  There are way too many lawyer feminine hygiene products.

AssaultAndBattery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 06:39:54 PM »
I don't blame a solo for being cheap - sometimes they have to scrape by.

But there's no excuse for being a feminine hygiene product.  There are way too many lawyer feminine hygiene products.

I agree.

This man is a raging blow hard with an ego the size of a planet and calling a feminine hygiene product bag is an extreme understatement. I have seen him make employees cry and I can honestly say, he is the biggest pile of crap of a human being I have ever encountered in my life. If it takes a human being having to humilate and treat a fellow employee like crap to feel good about themselves, then there is seriously something F-d up with them.

I think that all lawyer douchebags should have to be registered on a website like sex predators.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 08:01:52 PM »
I think that all lawyer douchebags should have to be registered on a website like sex predators.

Great idea.

Close enough:  http://www.avvo.com/review-your-lawyer

Is your attorney listed there?

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 11:34:21 AM »
Yeah I work for a han solo practioner also, and he definitely isn't throwing around his money.  But it seems like your guy goes way overboard with the cheapness.  Windows 98?  Damn.

ithappensforareason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 10:08:20 PM »
I. As an incoming 2L, what is the process to begin looking for permanent employment? You should be hearing about OCI soon.  You should also begin letter-writing for 2L summer associate positions at the end of July, particularly if you are in the city you'd like to work in.  There also should be a job board with postings on your school's OCI website for firms that aren't doing OCI.  You can check Westlaw's job board for 2L summer positions, and you can also register to attend regional job fairs.

II. When can a incoming 2L begin applying for permenant employment and how would one go about asking firms and offices if they are hiring? Via email or conventional letter? You can begin applying for 2L summer employment now, but I'd probably wait until the end of the month when the SA programs are winding down.  I wouldn't bother to ask if an office is hiring; it takes two minutes to personalize a cover letter so you don't lose much if they aren't.  Just send your cover letter and a resume. E-mail or conventional doesn't particularly matter some firms prefer one or the other and that would be on their website.  I applied to all of my 1L firms by e-mail.  Once the balance shifts (as in, you have offers) you may want to evaluate to see how many people they anticipate hiring permanently if they're not a NALP firm.

III. When someone says permenant employment, is that strictly referring to summer associate positions? If not, what other type of permenant employment is there? Offers of permanent employment are given at the end of your 2L summer from your 2L employers.  That's why it's important to make sure that you're involved in a legitimate summer associate program at a firm that definitely plans on offering employment to most, if not all, of their summer associates.  Summer associates will by far have the best chance of permanent employment at the firms, and some firms may not be recruiting 3Ls because of an anticipated higher acceptance rate of permanent employment offers.  It's also more likely this year that and next year that law students will be no-offered or cold-offered.  This is bad for your 3L employment prospects with firms.  If you want government permanent employment, you will most likely need to seek that in the fall or spring of your 3L year.  If you want to work with a nonprofit, you should be sure to have a good nonprofit work resume to show you're dedicated to the field.  Other types of "permanent" employment are clerkships, academia, in-house counsel, solo, etc.  Some people wind up taking "contract" positions, which are basically temporary lawyers for a firm, and the gig doesn't come with the actualy benefits or resume boost of working at the firm.

Nice post.

I agree, wait until the end of july and then begin contacting firms.

GOODLUCK