Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bar/Bri takers - MPT Workshop?  (Read 1971 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Bar/Bri takers - MPT Workshop?
« on: July 02, 2008, 07:42:52 AM »
Hey everyone,

My last day of Bar/Bri is Monday, and we're finishing up with the MPT workshop.  Has anyone had this yet?  I really feel like it's time to start doing my own thing, working on essays, actually learning all the crap Bar/Bri's thrown at us, etc., so I'm really not interested in going to this last class.  But, as usual, I don't want to miss out on anything important.  I'm just having trouble understanding how anything they say on the MPT can be helpful, since it's a stupid part of the bar exam.  It's a short closed book memo!  I mean, if I can't write a closed book memo I shouldn't be taking the bar exam.

So, question is:  has anyone had this lecture yet for Bar/Bri, and if so, did you think it was worthwhile? 

Thanks!

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Bar/Bri takers - MPT Workshop?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 07:54:32 PM »
Hey everyone,

My last day of Bar/Bri is Monday, and we're finishing up with the MPT workshop.  Has anyone had this yet?  I really feel like it's time to start doing my own thing, working on essays, actually learning all the crap Bar/Bri's thrown at us, etc., so I'm really not interested in going to this last class.  But, as usual, I don't want to miss out on anything important.  I'm just having trouble understanding how anything they say on the MPT can be helpful, since it's a stupid part of the bar exam.  It's a short closed book memo!  I mean, if I can't write a closed book memo I shouldn't be taking the bar exam.

So, question is:  has anyone had this lecture yet for Bar/Bri, and if so, did you think it was worthwhile? 

Thanks!

I've had two of them, and I walked out of the 2nd one.  I didn't think the first one was helpful at all, and I attended the 2nd one only in the off chance that I would learn something in there that I hadn't in the 1st one.  I don't know if you'll have the same lecturer, but listening to him just made me uneasy: he repeatedly reminded us about how difficult the bar exam is, and that writing out practice essays and the MPT "is a b*tch." This is not what I call helpful. Granted I don't believe in sugarcoating anything, but a little encouragement at this point is not asking for much.  Then again, BarBri has never been good in the encouragement department, which can be seen by their graders failing most of us on the essays. I've yet to meet one person in that class who hasn't had most of his essays graded as failing.

Anyway, back to the MPT workshop...I think you will learn more by just reading the strategies in the MPT workbook and then do a couple of them on your own. I say this because the professor in the workshops just simply regurgitated what the MPT workbook said.  Besides, I think most of the "strategies" are common sense (e.g., answer the question asked, organization is important, outline your answer in advance, etc.).

mqt

• Sr. Citizen
  • cellar door
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 10:00:07 PM »

We had ours at the beginning.  I thought it was helpful, insofar as it informs you about stupid crap that the graders are looking for for points.  This is an easy point getter on the bar exam, and I think it's useful to maximize your knowledge about how that thing is graded. In my opinion, there was good information regarding how to format your answers and how to go about answering the question in a methodical way that will maximize your score on the MPT.   

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 10:10:37 PM »
I agree with the other posters. Learning how critical the format of your answer is, in regard to points was great. The analysis was pretty terrible though, and like all things Bar/Bri, the model answers were totally beyond the pale of what a student can write. Our lecturer even admitted this.

Air Force JAG Corps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 02:16:13 AM »
I think it was ok, but am really beginning to rebel against the idea that I can possibly know all of this.  On top of all the subjects that NV wants applicants to know, they add the MPT which is a kick in the Arse.  Seriously, I'm having chest pains just thinking about this exam... the doc says its stress.
When a candidate faces the voters he does not face men of sense [but] a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion. As democracy is perfected the White House will be adorned with a moron.