Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Florida State or Stetson?  (Read 1276 times)

MKG

• View Profile
Florida State or Stetson?
« on: July 01, 2008, 06:00:50 PM »
As an out-of-state student, I am not familiar, other than what I have read on-line, with the schools and areas of Tampa/Gulfport and Tallahassee.  The fact that I am an out-of-state student also means tuition is practically equal.  I would really like some help deciding from people who are familiar with the schools, academics, social life, cities of Tampa/Gulfport and Tallahassee, etc.  Thanks.

TimMitchell

Re: Florida State or Stetson?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 07:31:45 PM »
As an out-of-state student, I am not familiar, other than what I have read on-line, with the schools and areas of Tampa/Gulfport and Tallahassee.  The fact that I am an out-of-state student also means tuition is practically equal.  I would really like some help deciding from people who are familiar with the schools, academics, social life, cities of Tampa/Gulfport and Tallahassee, etc.  Thanks.

I can't help you with the area, but I have been looking into Florida State and Stetson as well. I wanted a change a scenery but decided against it because neither are national universities and It may be hard finding a job back home (for me). However, from my research if you get accepted to both schools I would definitely go with Florida State. Stetson just dosn't compare with job placement, prestige or rankings. Moreover, you may get instate at Florida State after a year. You might want to contact to school, many schools are liberal with their instate standards and will give you reduced tuition after a year.

Ninja1 "reps FSU like it's his job", I'm sure he'll be posting with better advice. Good luck!

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 03:36:05 PM »
Easy one.  FSU.  FSU is ranked higher, has a fantastic alumni network, and the experience of going to law school in the state's capital is pretty unique.  Stetson is a great school, but it just can't compete with FSU, particularly when it comes to overall reputation.

I'm a Floridian and I can tell you that FSU has an excellent reputation in Florida.  Also, I'm a little confused how you would end up paying the same to go to both schools.  Stetson is a private school and therefore far more expensive.  Even if you're out of state you could apply to get in-state tuition years 2 and 3 at FSU and it would be far cheaper than Stetson if you figure over all 3 years.   

Good luck with whichever school you choose!
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

MKG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 06:14:45 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.  It looks like it's going to be FSU after much advise and research.  The tuition for out-of-state students at FSU is practically equal to the tuition at Stetson.  I realize it's possible, right now at least, to declare residency during your first-year and receive in-state tuition for years 2 and 3.  However, there is proposed legislation in the State of FL that will possibly prevent students from being able to do just that in the near future; and with my luck, if I count on receiving in-state tuition for years 2 and 3 that legislation will pass.  Thanks and GOOD LUCK!!!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 03:09:34 AM »
I guess my work here is already done. ;)

Stetson actually isn't a bad school if you're looking to stay in Florida and especially in Tampa. After Florida, Florida State, and Miami, it's the next best school in Florida and after Stetson, you see a rapid drop in the quality of the remaining Florida schools.

Of course, FSU is better and you're making the right decision by going there, but Stetson is a legitimate school in Florida.

On that legislation, I know that the idea has been getting kicked around for a few years without getting implemented. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

TimMitchell

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 03:23:40 AM »

Stetson actually isn't a bad school if you're looking to stay in Florida and especially in Tampa. After Florida, Florida State, and Miami, it's the next best school in Florida and after Stetson, you see a rapid drop in the quality of the remaining Florida schools.

Of course, FSU is better and you're making the right decision by going there, but Stetson is a legitimate school in Florida.

On that legislation, I know that the idea has been getting kicked around for a few years without getting implemented. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I hope you're not referring to Coastal?!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 04:52:29 AM »

Pretty much all remaining schools, actually. I think the ordering of Florida law schools goes something like this:

Florida, Florida State, Miami
Stetson
Nova
Florida International
Barry, Florida A&M, Florida Coastal, St. Thomas

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 12:03:31 PM »

Pretty much all remaining schools, actually. I think the ordering of Florida law schools goes something like this:

Florida, Florida State, Miami
Stetson
Florida International
Nova
Barry, Florida A&M, Florida Coastal, St. Thomas

The list is good, but I'd flip-flop Nova over Florida International. FIU has a horrible job placement rate, and they just don't have the type of connections with Alumni that Nova does. 10 years from now FIU may be ahead of Nova, but for now, they just flat out suck.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 03:33:22 PM »
Fair enough. Done and done.

sln00

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 03:48:54 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.  It looks like it's going to be FSU after much advise and research.  The tuition for out-of-state students at FSU is practically equal to the tuition at Stetson.  I realize it's possible, right now at least, to declare residency during your first-year and receive in-state tuition for years 2 and 3.  However, there is proposed legislation in the State of FL that will possibly prevent students from being able to do just that in the near future; and with my luck, if I count on receiving in-state tuition for years 2 and 3 that legislation will pass.  Thanks and GOOD LUCK!!!

It is very hard to establish residency for in-state tuition purposes.  You'll get the run-around a lot - even without said legislation in place.