Law School Discussion

Florida State or Stetson?

Budlaw

• View Profile
Re: Florida State or Stetson?
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 01:52:33 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.  It looks like it's going to be FSU after much advise and research.  The tuition for out-of-state students at FSU is practically equal to the tuition at Stetson.  I realize it's possible, right now at least, to declare residency during your first-year and receive in-state tuition for years 2 and 3.  However, there is proposed legislation in the State of FL that will possibly prevent students from being able to do just that in the near future; and with my luck, if I count on receiving in-state tuition for years 2 and 3 that legislation will pass.  Thanks and GOOD LUCK!!!

It is very hard to establish residency for in-state tuition purposes.  You'll get the run-around a lot - even without said legislation in place.

Maybe for undergrad. Not for lawschool. I had no problem changing my residency at FSU law for instate. Just make sure you get a Florida license before you start school, and register to vote. Fairly simple process because you register to vote when you get your license at the DMV. Fill out some stupid forms from financial aid, and that's it.

No run around whatsoever at FSU.

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 07:02:09 PM »
Residency is like a formula.  Get your license now, register to vote now, buy a condo (if you have the cash to do so considering the incredible issues with loans nowadays), discover family you have in state.

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 12:11:36 AM »
Residency is like a formula.  Get your license now, register to vote now, buy a condo (if you have the cash to do so considering the incredible issues with loans nowadays), discover family you have in state.

I'd just add that you shouldn't forget to register/insure your car in FL, either.  And, rescind your voting registration in your home state.

Steve Jones

• Dir of Admissions, Florida Coastal School of Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 07:58:05 PM »
I guess my work here is already done. ;)

Stetson actually isn't a bad school if you're looking to stay in Florida and especially in Tampa. After Florida, Florida State, and Miami, it's the next best school in Florida and after Stetson, you see a rapid drop in the quality of the remaining Florida schools.

Of course, FSU is better and you're making the right decision by going there, but Stetson is a legitimate school in Florida.

On that legislation, I know that the idea has been getting kicked around for a few years without getting implemented. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I hope you're not referring to Coastal?!

You are all just jalouse crybabbies.  Everyone knows Florida Coastal is #1.