Law School Discussion

1L Life?

Sell Out

• Bienvenido al Terrordome.
    • View Profile
Re: 1L Life?
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 03:38:09 PM »
My biggest piece of advice is choosing the people you decide to associate with. Don't form a study group until you have had a few weeks to get to know people. And even then, keep everyone at a distance until you are absolutely certain they are cool.

For example...I found out that one of the guys in my study group of five was secretly checking another guy's emails and found out he had lied about one of his grades. I have a super problem with the first guy, and now (not that I care about his grades) I always second guess whatever the second guy says...

Also, stay away from the "stressers" and the "braggers"...and don't become one.

Really? Wow, that's sketchy.  I haven't seen anything like that, but then again I'm oblivious.
I've heard of people in study groups giving intentionally false information, but I've never experienced it myself.  However, I second the idea of you needing to trust the people you're in a group with.  It would be WAY too easy to manipulate the information if someone wanted to be an a$$.  This is why I <3 my study group.  We're all either (1) clueless or (2) honest.

StephanyDS

• Renegades of Funk
    • AOL Instant Messenger - StephanyDS
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 06:46:22 PM »
It's probably not that you are oblivious...if you trust your study group, that is awesome.

But I know how people get into the mindset that your friends are also your biggest competition. I have heard horror stories of people sharing false information too, turning other people in for bogus acedemic dishonesty claims, etc. There is also a lot of stupid gossip that goes on within groups and with others, and my other piece of advice is to stay as far away from it as possible.

SCK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 06:53:41 PM »
Wow is right.

Its like we're soon to be trapped in our own little reality tv show except its not on tv and its not a show.  Its reality.

That's the way I see it.

I think Donnie Brasco or someone said "you go in alive, you come out dead, and its your best friend that did it."