Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best Firms for Securities Enforcement/regulation/litigation?  (Read 2699 times)

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
Re: Best Firms for Securities Enforcement/regulation/litigation?
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 12:01:13 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what kind of moron puts all of their eggs in one basket anyway? It's sad that law school graduates need to be told such things. It's patently obvious that if there are a limited number of jobs in the field now, that another practice area might be a better choice for the short term. However, if someone really wants to practice securities law, I am sure that they will find a way to break into the profession, regardless of how the market performs. If the market doesn't rebound in six months or sixty years, there will still be work... only less of it. Besides, don't failing markets precipitate securities lawsuits? How many class action lawsuits have been brought against a companies because their stock soared?

Sure, that's exactly what I am warning people about.

Regarding more securities work when the markets are bad, well, that's not necessarily true. As you know, most securities suits are on the basis of some form of fraud or misrep. Bad markets are just bad luck and not necessarily fraud by the company/BOD.

wow you are the princess of wrong. Securities fraud suits happen in bad markets because 1) you need to prove loss causation in order to win a fraud case and a plummeting stock price makes it a whole lot easier. Stock prices plummet in bad economies. 2) People often commit securities fraud because their company is struggling and they are trying to boost the stock price to buy themselves time to fix thing. Companies struggle in bad economies. It's no coincidence that Enron/Tyco/Dynegy/Worldcom all happened when the economy went south at the beginning of the decade.

You missed an operative word up there. If you're too dense to see it, I'm not going to waste my time pointing it out to you.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Best Firms for Securities Enforcement/regulation/litigation?
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2008, 12:23:46 PM »
Ok so you give bad advice and make stupid observations and now you try to weasel out of it. You said a job in litigation is better than no job at all, but most firms that do transactional work in securities do not do that exclusively, and it is certainly not a requirement at almost any firm that you declare an interest in doing securities work or litigation or anything in particular prior to getting a job. You say you are interested in securities and some other stuff and hope work picks up before you start in september. There is no need to go into litigation now in order to get a job because firms typically offer you a job and then talk practice area, and if they do not need securities peopel they will tell you. I understand that you say that it is not necessarily true, but it is typically true. Also, while some firms have stock values drop in a recession for totally innocent reasons, you can count on enough bad apples to say that you can expect more securities litigation when markets are bad.