Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Men, Let's Talk Watches  (Read 7098 times)

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Men, Let's Talk Watches
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 03:37:42 PM »
Wow, I was actually just about to start a similar thread, because I've got a question. My mom wants to give me a watch for my graduation present, and is going to let me pick it out.  I've tried on some Breitlings and some Omegas, and I'm between the two brands.  I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either brand, or an opinion as to which one is "better"?  From what little I know, and from what I've seen, it seems like there isn't really a difference in quality as they're both excellent watches.

Basically, I just want a watch that will last for a long, long time.  Anyone wanna help me decide?

I have both. Breitlings are great, most people know what they are, and they seem to hold up better than a Rolex (scratch wise). If you have a Bentley they have a cool looking watch that will match it. :) The Omegaís are bulletproof, I got the James Bond commerative one cause Iím a geek like that. http://www.omegawatches.com/index.php?id=286&details=1&ref=21230412001001&no_cache=1 

With proper care and cleaning both will last you a lifetime. Also look into Tags, I like tags as everyday watch wear over either of the other two. But 99% of the time I just wear a G-shock I have had for like five years. Iím that guy that never takes his watch off, ever, and the only thing that will stand up to daily soap scum damage is the G-shock. Plus I can clean it with a an old toothbrush when I canít see the face anymore from soap scum and not have to take it to a jeweler. The rest are worn when dressing up for a few hours at a time at most (and I have like 10 watches).

Also if you donít plan on wearing it everyday, get a watch winder case that automatically moves the watches in storage so they are always wound, otherwise itís a PIA when you switch watches.

*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

odd

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 03:40:08 PM »
Wow, I was actually just about to start a similar thread, because I've got a question. My mom wants to give me a watch for my graduation present, and is going to let me pick it out.  I've tried on some Breitlings and some Omegas, and I'm between the two brands.  I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either brand, or an opinion as to which one is "better"?  From what little I know, and from what I've seen, it seems like there isn't really a difference in quality as they're both excellent watches.

Basically, I just want a watch that will last for a long, long time.  Anyone wanna help me decide?

You're right, they're both great watches.  I wouldn't say either is better than the other.  Personally, I prefer the aesthetic of the classic omega styles (like the seamaster).  But it all comes down to the look you prefer.  Also, be sure to narrow down the type of watch you want -- something casual and sporty, or something formal and classic?  There's a lot of variation, even within these watchmakers' lines.

For more (and too much) info, check out the Omega and Breitling brand forums on Timezone

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 04:47:30 PM »
psch. don't worry about watches. Worry about alarm clocks:

http://www.voco.uk.com/

stotan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 06:14:27 PM »

my new baby

it's this without the chronograph:

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 07:47:49 PM »
FWIW - I am between the Aqua Terra in the Seamaster series of Omegas, and a Breitling Superocean Steelfish.  The funny thing is that the two watches don't look all that similar.  I guess I just like different things about them.  I'm leaning towards the more formal Omega.  I have a perfectly fine Nike watch for running and surfing and other outdoors stuff, so I wouldn't necessarily need the ruggedness of a 'Ling. 

Stotan -- I do have some questions, so I'll send you a PM shortly.  Thanks for the help.

And from the look of it, us LSDer's have a pretty good taste in watches.  I'm curious to see what else people have...
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

stotan

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 08:47:09 PM »
my brother has the superocean chrono.  it's pretty pimp.

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 10:39:31 PM »
That is a really good looking watch.

my new baby

it's this without the chronograph:

Boalt Hall '10

stotan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 12:28:56 AM »
thanks.  i love it, but i'm having the damndest time trying to keep it wound.  it keeps stopping.

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 01:59:36 AM »
if you have any specific watch questions i'd be more than happy to answer them.  i know a good bit.  omegas and breitlings are relatively equal in the quality department.  i believe they both use ETA movements (as do a many brands), but i think breitlings have a bit more cachet, mainly cause they're more expensive.

btw i would kill for a cartier.

This is true...Omega is an Swatch company and most of their watches, except the high-end stuff like some Blancpain, Breguet, etc. use ETA or Valjoux movements...Swatch actually owns both these companies that make the movements. The various marques may modify them slightly and give them a different name but 95% of them are still using the same base movements. The Superocean runs an ETA 2824 I believe while your basic Seamaster runs a 2892. Swatch currently sells their movements out to other companies but is ending this practice within a year, I believe, so the proliferation of ETA/Valjoux movements in various watches should wind down.

As far as Breitling vs. Omega, both excellent watches. Especially if you're looking at the Superocean/X-Plus vs. the Seamaster/Aqua Terra series, you're really looking at two watches in the same "dive watch" family. It all boils down to personal preference. They both run excellent "workhorse" ETA movements and you're not looking at any complications so take your pick. Omega probably has more presitge among the general population but Breitling has a lot of fans among WIS-types and is also plenty prestigious. So again, personal preference. I've got a Superocean X-Plus and an Aqua Terra Railmaster and I love them both, although the Aqua Terra is a bit "dressier" so it doesn't get as much wrist time. Used to have your standard "Bond" Seamaster but I sold it to get the Railmaster...don't regret it.

Longines I like too, people tend to down them but I really like their Master Collection...I was thinking about getting a Master Collection chrono but have held off for now. Honestly anything within the Swatch empire that runs an ETA or Valjoux 7750 is going to be pretty similar...they use essentially the same parts. Unless you're going for major complications or a specialty watch, it all boils down to personal preference as well as how much you want to show off.

I think I'm going to get a nice solid 2893 Hamilton for a daily beater...I baby my watches too much and don't like to knock around with them too much. I just got rid of a Hamilton Navy Regatta Chrono like a week ago...had it for a little while, was nice but honestly had too much going on, had like 5 crowns/pushers and three rotating bezels. Made me kind of dizzy. That and the seconds were at 3:00 which was a pain. So I'm definitely on a Hamilton kick right now.

Whoever had the Roadster, I am envious.

The chick who wears a Seamaster is a woman after my own heart.

Stotan...do you keep your watches on a winder? Might be the stem or power reserve is off...happened on my old Bond because I over-wound it manually and f-ed up the stem...it never had the same power reserve after that.

Geez...look at me blabbing up a storm...will quit while I'm ahead. Glad to see other LSDers enjoy a good watch, though. Thought I was the only one!

stotan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 08:27:22 AM »
nope i don't keep it on a winder, and i just got it a week ago.  it makes no sense.  for instance, last night i wore it out, and after 2 hours or so it just stopped.  i manually re-wound it a bit, then just wore it for another hour or so.  took it off when i got home and it's still running this morning.