Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Worrying Too Much  (Read 1194 times)

smittypits

Worrying Too Much
« on: June 30, 2008, 03:53:07 PM »
Is it just me, or is anyone else OK with being in the top 30-40%, and not making 180K the first year out of law school? I see so many posts from people thinking their life is over cause they didn't make law review, or finish in the top 10%...I mean great, consider yourself elitist if you do finish in the top of your class and go to Skadden Arps, but I'll be the one laughing when I work a manageable 40-50 hours a week and live comfortably while you keel over at age 40. I mean I know a bunch of attorneys that are making 300-400K/year that did only OK in law school, because they worked hard at their first jobs, and impressed their employers. It's possible you know.

MCD

• View Profile
Re: Worrying Too Much
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 04:54:22 PM »
What if you make 60k working just as hard and as long as the guy making 100k more. How would that make you feel? I'd feel like crap.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 05:22:20 PM »
I'll be the one laughing when I work a manageable 40-50 hours a week and live comfortably while you keel over at age 40.

Do you have this magical easy job lined up already?  Preferably in writing?  Or is this just your assumption that these jobs are all over the place and easy to get?  Because I know LOTS of people who are ranked pretty high, with solid resumes, and more than a few that were on journal or LR who can't find work.

And how much do you think this 40-50 hour a week job is going to pay you?  Because whatever the amount is, I can sure as *&^% guarantee that it wouldn't cover my monthly loan payment.

HTH

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 05:25:13 PM »
The lower in rank your school is, the more your class rank has a big affect on what kind of on-campus interviews you can get.

Aside from that, I agree. 

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 05:26:51 PM »
I'll be the one laughing when I work a manageable 40-50 hours a week and live comfortably while you keel over at age 40.

Do you have this magical easy job lined up already?  Preferably in writing?  Or is this just your assumption that these jobs are all over the place and easy to get?  Because I know LOTS of people who are ranked pretty high, with solid resumes, and more than a few that were on journal or LR who can't find work.

And how much do you think this 40-50 hour a week job is going to pay you?  Because whatever the amount is, I can sure as poo guarantee that it wouldn't cover my monthly loan payment.

HTH

Your loans must be more than mine.  I am working in government 40 hours per week and paying my loans. 

smittypits

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 08:48:53 PM »
I probably could have made this post a little less combative...my point really is that if you go to law school 100% certain that you're going to graduate with at the top of the class with a 150K+ job lined up for you, then you're just kidding yourself...it's one of the fallacies of the legal profession in general that drives more and more students into debt, and leaves so many students, like the ones you mentioned with high GPA's and Law Review that can't find the jobs they want, unhappy and feeling as though they have "failed". And to answer your question, yes, I went to law school knowing what I want to do (being an ADA), am working at the DA's office in a big city, and love it. I'm barely in the top 1/3 of a tier 3 school, and while I realize that working for a DA, then perhaps switching to a small private practice, won't make me a millionaire, it will afford me the opportunity to be in a court room, to argue real legal issues in front of a judge, and to make a comfortable living (after switching over to private practice anyway!). I just don't see the point in going to law school if it's simply about making a lot of money...As I mentioned in my earlier post, I have friends with crappy GPA's from undergrad who are making boat loads of money now in finance. What's the point of despising your time in law school, going into a ton of debt, then going on to a job simply to make money? It just seems to defeat the purpose of being a lawyer in the first place if you're not going to enjoy practicing it. If it's all about money and power, work for JP Morgan. The most miserable law grads I know are the ones who didn't do as well as they expected in law school, refused to take jobs at smaller firms with less pay (for pride reasons), and now work at a bank.

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 08:57:15 PM »
Is it just me, or is anyone else OK with being in the top 30-40%, and not making 180K the first year out of law school? I see so many posts from people thinking their life is over cause they didn't make law review, or finish in the top 10%...I mean great, consider yourself elitist if you do finish in the top of your class and go to Skadden Arps, but I'll be the one laughing when I work a manageable 40-50 hours a week and live comfortably while you keel over at age 40. I mean I know a bunch of attorneys that are making 300-400K/year that did only OK in law school, because they worked hard at their first jobs, and impressed their employers. It's possible you know.

I'd like to graduate at the top of my class, but not for BIGLAW.  I'm not interested in working myself to death for any amount of money.  I want to be engaged, make a decent living and have time for friends and family.  But, some see BIGLAW as the end goal-- different strokes, you know?  Elitism is more the attitude of the individual; a dbag is going to be a dbag no matter where they go.  Don't let the BIGLAW aspirations on this board make you feel insecure about not wanting that for yourself. ;)

Mina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 09:09:10 PM »
I intern for a lawyer right now, who works as a solo immigration attorney, got a 145 on his lsat and is making 300-400g's and is 34. he got c's b's and 1 a

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 09:38:11 PM »
Truth is in the middle (I hope)/ tag.
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

MCD

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 09:52:52 PM »
Don't worry about debt so much. If you don't land a big firm job you can always die. If you die, then your debt is forgiven!  :)