Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Deans list top = top 15%... my friend was 15.4320987654%, help me argue this!  (Read 4368 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
I did.  It is a recognition.  Then again, if/when it gets to the point where I need the space for something else, it's going to be one of the first things to go in the editing process.

nocomply

• View Profile
I feel your friend's pain too.  I'm ranked as 10.25% - I'm not in the "top 10%."  Though if I was asked what I'm ranked, I'd respond by saying "10% or so."  Or, if I wanted to be specific, "10.25%."  Am I upset that I'm not in the "top 10%"?  No.  I don't care about that. 

Though your friend can't put down "Deans List" on his resume, he can still put down that he's ranked 15.4% - which is, by itself, an impressive number, depending on where he is applying for a job. 

Tell him to chill out, but to not go around telling everyone that he's in the "top 15%" - because that is technically misleading.  Sorry to break it, like everyone else has, but that's reality.

Actually, strike what I wrote.  I just found out yesterday that I am in the top 10% of my class, and am afforded the opportunities (federal clerkships through the school, honors society, etc.) available to top 10% students.  So, not every school gets so technical - my 10.25% is considered top 10% here.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I feel your friend's pain too.  I'm ranked as 10.25% - I'm not in the "top 10%."  Though if I was asked what I'm ranked, I'd respond by saying "10% or so."  Or, if I wanted to be specific, "10.25%."  Am I upset that I'm not in the "top 10%"?  No.  I don't care about that. 

Though your friend can't put down "Deans List" on his resume, he can still put down that he's ranked 15.4% - which is, by itself, an impressive number, depending on where he is applying for a job. 

Tell him to chill out, but to not go around telling everyone that he's in the "top 15%" - because that is technically misleading.  Sorry to break it, like everyone else has, but that's reality.

Actually, strike what I wrote.  I just found out yesterday that I am in the top 10% of my class, and am afforded the opportunities (federal clerkships through the school, honors society, etc.) available to top 10% students.  So, not every school gets so technical - my 10.25% is considered top 10% here.
no to quibble, but if we are going to be precise, you are top 11%; that's the consensus view on this thread :)
When a candidate faces the voters he does not face men of sense [but] a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion. As democracy is perfected the White House will be adorned with a moron.

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile

damn you liberal arts majors!

It can be argued that the top 15% of the class is NOT the same as the top 15% of the grades

grades are a continuous distribution, class is a discrete set.  so.. if you had a small class size of 50, 15% and 15.4% could be the same person (depending on how you determine the center point).

it's unlikely the class size is this small, so you're basically screwed :)

HTH

25/162 I think.  No more mathmagician big words like "discrete" eh?