Law School Discussion

Deans list top = top 15%... my friend was 15.4320987654%, help me argue this!

jacy85

• View Profile
I did.  It is a recognition.  Then again, if/when it gets to the point where I need the space for something else, it's going to be one of the first things to go in the editing process.

I feel your friend's pain too.  I'm ranked as 10.25% - I'm not in the "top 10%."  Though if I was asked what I'm ranked, I'd respond by saying "10% or so."  Or, if I wanted to be specific, "10.25%."  Am I upset that I'm not in the "top 10%"?  No.  I don't care about that. 

Though your friend can't put down "Deans List" on his resume, he can still put down that he's ranked 15.4% - which is, by itself, an impressive number, depending on where he is applying for a job. 

Tell him to chill out, but to not go around telling everyone that he's in the "top 15%" - because that is technically misleading.  Sorry to break it, like everyone else has, but that's reality.

Actually, strike what I wrote.  I just found out yesterday that I am in the top 10% of my class, and am afforded the opportunities (federal clerkships through the school, honors society, etc.) available to top 10% students.  So, not every school gets so technical - my 10.25% is considered top 10% here.

• View Profile
I feel your friend's pain too.  I'm ranked as 10.25% - I'm not in the "top 10%."  Though if I was asked what I'm ranked, I'd respond by saying "10% or so."  Or, if I wanted to be specific, "10.25%."  Am I upset that I'm not in the "top 10%"?  No.  I don't care about that. 

Though your friend can't put down "Deans List" on his resume, he can still put down that he's ranked 15.4% - which is, by itself, an impressive number, depending on where he is applying for a job. 

Tell him to chill out, but to not go around telling everyone that he's in the "top 15%" - because that is technically misleading.  Sorry to break it, like everyone else has, but that's reality.

Actually, strike what I wrote.  I just found out yesterday that I am in the top 10% of my class, and am afforded the opportunities (federal clerkships through the school, honors society, etc.) available to top 10% students.  So, not every school gets so technical - my 10.25% is considered top 10% here.
no to quibble, but if we are going to be precise, you are top 11%; that's the consensus view on this thread :)

gratif

• 2.7/167
    • View Profile

damn you liberal arts majors!

It can be argued that the top 15% of the class is NOT the same as the top 15% of the grades

grades are a continuous distribution, class is a discrete set.  so.. if you had a small class size of 50, 15% and 15.4% could be the same person (depending on how you determine the center point).

it's unlikely the class size is this small, so you're basically screwed :)

HTH

25/162 I think.  No more mathmagician big words like "discrete" eh?