;

Author Topic: GW Law  (Read 6403 times)

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GW Law
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 10:19:54 AM »
Pennstate -

From my understanding, GW places well in NYC biglaw.  I don't know how it stacks against Fordham, but I've heard a lot of people trash talking Fordham so who knows. 

Congrats all!  I'll probably be at GW at the fall and look forward to meeting some of you.  Especially once we get past the "OH, you're NeverTrustKlingons?? I'm santropez!!" 

I'll be wearing a nametag with the LSD logo and santropez written on it, so come find me. 

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 10:27:21 AM »

Congrats all!  I'll probably be at GW at the fall and look forward to meeting some of you.  Especially once we get past the "OH, you're NeverTrustKlingons?? I'm santropez!!" 

I'll be wearing a nametag with the LSD logo and santropez written on it, so come find me. 

lol  :D

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 11:48:25 AM »
i graduated from gw law recently. just sittin here studying for jah bar mon. lemme know if you have any Qs (PM or otherwise)

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 12:36:44 PM »
Between the two, I think GW is better. In fact, back when I applied to transfer I did not even consider Fordham for a second. The reason for that is Fordham's rep is pretty much nonexistent outside of NY/NJ/CT. Since I wanted to have access to other markets (greater chances of getting the kind of job I want) and not be locked into NY/NJ/CT I didn't bother with Fordham.

Another downside to Fordham is that if you miss the biglaw boat, NY/NJ is a very rough job market. The smaller and midsize firms mostly deal in insurance defense and the like, and many people who don't get biglaw resort to temping to pay their loans.

At least with GW, assuming you have geographic connections to one or more secondary markets, you can target the better small boutique and midsize firms in those markets that pay decently if you don't make biglaw. I think that would be much harder from Fordham because of the lack of any national or semi-national reach at that school.

How do all of you feel about GW vs Fordham? I still have an app out there, and was wondering if I should withdraw. Thanks in advance for any comments!

ILoveCorpLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 12:54:46 PM »
I'll be at GW in the fall as well....thank u santropez and box for ur input on the school..Congrats to everyone that got in!

McLovin07

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 09:59:44 AM »
so how does GW housing work? Bascially just craigslist? Seems that all teh graduate buildings are full.

ILoveCorpLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2008, 10:31:28 AM »
The info on the GW housing website is somewhat helpful, and there is a list of a bunch of off campus apartments and their proximity to the law school/price/etc. The website is,

http://www.law.gwu.edu/Resources/Housing/    (GW Housing)

http://gwired.gwu.edu/offcampus/find/ApartmentBuildingsNeartheGWCampus/  (Direct Link to GW off campus housing from GW website)

If you click on the "local apartment buildings" this is where you will find the list, although everything on there seems to be very expensive.

derby

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 10:37:39 AM »
.BC rejected me, but I think its partially due to it not being a very transfer friendly school at all...

Why do you say they are not a transfer friendly school.?
I am at Pace(T3 I think) class rank #4 and am transferring for personal reasons (deaf 3yr old son). I am just wondering what make syou think they dont like transfers cause, it seems from looking at the board people with worse stats than me are getting in to far better schools.

ILoveCorpLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 11:02:24 AM »
Well I would consider them non-transfer friendly because of the amount of transfers they enroll in a given year. According to the LSAC they enrolled 7 transfer students last year, compared to other transfer friendly schools such as GW for instance, which enrolled above 60. I think you have personal reasons for the transfer to BC that could, in my opinion, put you into that small transfer class. Your stats are also competitive for BC or any other top law school. Good luck with your transfer there, it's a great school from what I hear.

derby

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2008, 11:06:13 AM »
thanks, that number is very daunting, but I guess if I dont get in I probably can assume it wasnt b/c I am not competitive.
I guess its too late to apply anywhere else, and I will probably get into neusl.