Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW Law  (Read 6477 times)

ILoveCorpLaw

• View Profile
GW Law
« on: June 30, 2008, 12:50:17 PM »
Can anyone give any insight to their thoughts on GW Law? Is the school becoming more national than regional, in regard to markets such as NY? Does anyone go there who has been through the transfer OCI process as well? Thanks allot.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GW Law
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 01:02:07 PM »
I applied to GW as a transfer but did not attend (I went to a T14 instead).

GW sends a lot of students to NY. Like I said before, it will be easier to get a job in NY compared to DC because DC is a much tougher job market. GW is regional, but it's region extends along the east coast and it has a pretty good rep. It's rep doesn't extend as well in places like Chicago or LA.

One major downside to GW is the class size. It's large class size means placement is not going to be a good as a comparably ranked smaller east coast school like BC, for example.

Also, I've heard that GW transfers don't do as well in OCI as they would have if they transferred to a T14. But that is true of any school in the 20-25 range.

What other schools are you waiting on?

Personally, I'd go to a school like Vandy or BC over GW. Then GW over WUSTL if you really want NY placement. I'd go to any T14 over any of these schools, however.

hedrick1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 01:19:36 PM »
I applied to GW as a transfer but did not attend (I went to a T14 instead).

GW sends a lot of students to NY. Like I said before, it will be easier to get a job in NY compared to DC because DC is a much tougher job market. GW is regional, but it's region extends along the east coast and it has a pretty good rep. It's rep doesn't extend as well in places like Chicago or LA.

One major downside to GW is the class size. It's large class size means placement is not going to be a good as a comparably ranked smaller east coast school like BC, for example.

Also, I've heard that GW transfers don't do as well in OCI as they would have if they transferred to a T14. But that is true of any school in the 20-25 range.

What other schools are you waiting on?

Personally, I'd go to a school like Vandy or BC over GW. Then GW over WUSTL if you really want NY placement. I'd go to any T14 over any of these schools, however.

I think this is solid advice. GW just does OK in NY and the bottom half of the class really stuggles in general. If you get into any of the T14, you should go there.

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 01:26:10 PM »
I think I just got into GW?  Haha.... I called the admissions office expressing my worries about them not having received my updated rank yet. The adcom told me not to worry because my second semester grades were outstanding and a decision has already been made.  If that a means reject than the guy is just heartless ;P. 

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 02:11:19 PM »
I think GW is the right choice for you if you want to do NYC biglaw.  Probably places better there than WUSTL.  Based on the stats I've seen, it seems like the majority of GW grads end up taking the NY Bar, that's probably a good indicator. 

ILoveCorpLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 02:15:15 PM »
Sounds good..thanks allot...If ur in will u be attending or are you still waiting on other T14's?

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 02:16:51 PM »
I was waitlisted at GULC... I'll go there if I get in.  It's just good to know that no matter what, I'm moving to DC.

ILoveCorpLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 02:20:32 PM »
Yea it def feels good to be in at a top school..good luck with g-town

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 02:21:37 PM »
Definitely follow up with the schools you're waiting on. You may get into one of them. Go to either of those over GW.

Cardozo or any local NY school, with the possible exception of Fordham, is a joke if you want to work at a decent firm or any competitive job like a top government agency, etc.

Students from Cardozo et al really struggle unless they have top grades or major connections. All transfers receive some sort of informal GPA discount in the OCI process. For example, many transfers at my school who were top 10% at their old schools were treated like top 1/2 or top 1/3 students by firms in the interview process. The difference is, at the higher ranked schools, firms recruit deeper into the class. At Cardozo et al., after the GPA discount, you probably wouldn't have any good opportunities available to you.

Good luck santropez..sounds like ur def in..congrats...thanks so much box for that great advice...i got waitlisted at Georgetown, and am still waiting on michigan...BC rejected me, but I think its partially due to it not being a very trnasfer friendly school at all...I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't making a mistake enrolling at GW instead of WUSTL or a local NY school like Cardozo..Thanks allot for the posts

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 02:37:53 PM »
PennState -

I'm currently at a T4.  Top 1.8%.