Law School Discussion

~ Confuzzled ~ What do I write?!

Mori

• View Profile
~ Confuzzled ~ What do I write?!
« on: June 30, 2008, 09:52:49 AM »
Its about time I start assembling my PS...and as I am thinking of what to write several topics are flowing in my head. I want them to see the human-side of me, not just numbers...so, do I elaborate on:

1. Living in England for the first half of my life before moving to the US and the struggles of adapting to a new society?

2. Being a product of Western and Eastern cultures and how that has shaped who I am?
 (My mother is British and my father is Iranian) - would this be more for the DS?

3. Living life as a twin!! And the need to create a unique identity is magnified in this situation.

4. My inspiration to become a scientist (My HS bio teacher, who recently passed away), and how this lead me the pursuit of patent law as a career. 

5. The unique discoveries and important contributions I have made as a scientist and how this relates to patent law (verified by my publication record).

6. My involvement in the University as a student senator/senate executive committee member, and student judicial panelist for disciplinary hearings.

Should I my PS on just one of those topics, or should I somehow try and mold all of the above into one solid PS that takes the reader from my early life to where I am currently.

TY!

goaliechica

• It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
Re: ~ Confuzzled ~ What do I write?!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 10:01:26 AM »
Its about time I start assembling my PS...and as I am thinking of what to write several topics are flowing in my head. I want them to see the human-side of me, not just numbers...so, do I elaborate on:

1. Living in England for the first half of my life before moving to the US and the struggles of adapting to a new society?

2. Being a product of Western and Eastern cultures and how that has shaped who I am?
 (My mother is British and my father is Iranian) - would this be more for the DS?

3. Living life as a twin!! And the need to create a unique identity is magnified in this situation.

4. My inspiration to become a scientist (My HS bio teacher, who recently passed away), and how this lead me the pursuit of patent law as a career. 

5. The unique discoveries and important contributions I have made as a scientist and how this relates to patent law (verified by my publication record).

6. My involvement in the University as a student senator/senate executive committee member, and student judicial panelist for disciplinary hearings.

Should I my PS on just one of those topics, or should I somehow try and mold all of the above into one solid PS that takes the reader from my early life to where I am currently.

TY!

I think 1, 2, and 3 sound the most promising from the one-line synopses, and any of them would work for a DS as well. So I would recommend writing a PS about any one of the first three, and a DS about any one of the first three. Something like 4 could work, but you don't need to talk about Why Law, and it sounds like you can tell a better story about yourself from another perspective. 5 is probably not a great idea, because you don't want to rehash the things on your resume. You already get to show them a resume - use the personal statements to tell them something they can't find out elsewhere. 6 Sounds boring and trite (although almost anything can fly if you write it well enough). Trying to fit too many ideas into a single PS is usually a bad idea, as is trying to fit in your entire biography. Better to focus on one thing and write it clearly and well, and make sure it shows something about you that you want the school to know. Since you have so many good ideas, it seems like you would be well-served by a DS covering a second topic.

Good luck! It sounds like you definitely understand the idea already  :)