Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

How many hours a day are you studying? (including lecture time)

0-2
 0 (0%)
2-4
 0 (0%)
4-6
 5 (22.7%)
6-8
 8 (36.4%)
8-10
 8 (36.4%)
10+
 1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Bar Exam Study Thread  (Read 7471 times)

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Bar Exam Study Thread
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 03:30:04 PM »
tag, as my practice MBE is tomorrow
Air Force JAG Corps

mqt

• Sr. Citizen
  • cellar door
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 09:55:01 PM »

Then we get to wait for results!  That will be fun too.  I'm not sure which is worse; studying for the exam or waiting.

I think this is worse.  I don't think I'll have a problem waiting for results...sure, it will be nerve wracking at times, but I think it will be a relief to not worry about preparedness anymore. 

At least with the bar exam, no one is trying literally to kill me (which was true when I was in Iraq); I perversely comfort myself with that thought.  Although, it still sucks. 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 12:24:19 AM »
How do you figure your scaled score?  I missed a boatload of questions on my practice MBE, -78 OUCH!  :-[ :'(
When a candidate faces the voters he does not face men of sense [but] a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion. As democracy is perfected the White House will be adorned with a moron.

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 05:43:13 AM »
How do you figure your scaled score?  I missed a boatload of questions on my practice MBE, -78 OUCH!  :-[ :'(

Well, they said that anywhere between 65-70% correct is passing on the bar.  So, just divide 122 by 200, and that will give you a rough idea.  I honestly think that the real MBE is nowhere near as difficult as the simulated MBE.  My friend, who passed the bar on her first try this past February, said that she earned horrible scores on the BarBri MBE questions, but she felt the MBE in the bar exam was EASY.  Yes, she used that word:  "easy."  In fact, she said the only difficult day was the 3rd day, and that was because you write the 4 essays in a row with no break.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 03:44:40 PM »

122 puts you in terrific shape. The median was a 108 for that test and Bar/Bri said that even 108 puts you on good footing for the real deal.

The scale shifts every year, but it seems like 13 points is the most consistent figure from year to year.
Air Force JAG Corps

sarbinson

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 12:59:43 AM »
I'm not sure what to think about the Bar/Bri sample test.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but they said in class it was harder than the actual MBE, right?  Yet I hear from others that the MBE itself is harder- could just be the extreme stress of test day.  Also, I'm wondering if that 20 something point boost they say you get by MBE time is just the curve, or supposed to be from more studying- I've done some more Bar/Bri questions but I don't feel much improved over the sample test- maybe the fact that you concentrate more on the MBE is responsible?  The essays terrify me more than the MBE though- stupid secured transactions and commercial paper.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 01:07:10 AM »

122 puts you in terrific shape. The median was a 108 for that test and Bar/Bri said that even 108 puts you on good footing for the real deal.

The scale shifts every year, but it seems like 13 points is the most consistent figure from year to year.

Great, thanks!  I was mortified at first, but maybe I should be ok.

I'm not sure what to think about the Bar/Bri sample test.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but they said in class it was harder than the actual MBE, right?  Yet I hear from others that the MBE itself is harder- could just be the extreme stress of test day.  Also, I'm wondering if that 20 something point boost they say you get by MBE time is just the curve, or supposed to be from more studying- I've done some more Bar/Bri questions but I don't feel much improved over the sample test- maybe the fact that you concentrate more on the MBE is responsible?  The essays terrify me more than the MBE though- stupid secured transactions and commercial paper.

The essays are terrifying.  eep!

When a candidate faces the voters he does not face men of sense [but] a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion. As democracy is perfected the White House will be adorned with a moron.

lostgold

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 10:12:07 AM »
I know I sound like a shill, but I think this really works... [shill link deleted]. It will help you:

• Feel calm, relaxed and confident about your test
  • Achieve mental focus for better concentration
  • Think more clearly and recall information more effectively
  • Become more self-confident about your test taking skills
  • Eliminate your test anxiety

Anyway, PM me for more info.

--post edited by EC

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 02:05:47 PM »
Has anyone finished the half-day exam in the MPQ2 book? If so, what are your thoughts on the difficulty level and whether or not this will be a good indication of what the actual MBE is going to look like? The percentage of questions I got correct on the half-day practice exam (77%) were far higher than any of my results on the previous simulated MBE (116/200) or problem sets (average between 8-11 correct per set).

To quantify...I felt like 50% of the questions were "gimmies", or otherwise very straightforward applications of the law. I felt like 30-35% of the questions were intermediate questions where two answers looked pretty good and the remaining questions were of the types we saw in problem sets 5&6. Judging by what the MBE workshop lecturer said about adding roughly 30 points to your score, I'm truly hoping that this is what the actual MBE is going to look like.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 04:45:51 PM »
Has anyone finished the half-day exam in the MPQ2 book? If so, what are your thoughts on the difficulty level and whether or not this will be a good indication of what the actual MBE is going to look like? The percentage of questions I got correct on the half-day practice exam (77%) were far higher than any of my results on the previous simulated MBE (116/200) or problem sets (average between 8-11 correct per set).

To quantify...I felt like 50% of the questions were "gimmies", or otherwise very straightforward applications of the law. I felt like 30-35% of the questions were intermediate questions where two answers looked pretty good and the remaining questions were of the types we saw in problem sets 5&6. Judging by what the MBE workshop lecturer said about adding roughly 30 points to your score, I'm truly hoping that this is what the actual MBE is going to look like.

I haven't looked at the MBE in a week.  I'm focusing on the essays.  Anyone else?