Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: False Confidence on the Bar  (Read 3671 times)

ouffha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: False Confidence on the Bar
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 02:03:57 PM »
Of all the people who have posted in this thread so far, I only agree with Luziana, 008, and NoUsername. The rest are just not making any sense to me.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 05:51:15 PM »
Of all the people who have posted in this thread so far, I only agree with Luziana, 008, and NoUsername. The rest are just not making any sense to me.

Part of the problem is that you are not cool enough to hang out in Wicker Park Hookah Bars. Once you become hipster enough for that, the world will be your oyster.

Air Force JAG Corps

theprocrastinator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 06:06:56 PM »
I probably averaged about 6 hours a day including barbri class time and not including weekends until the last week or so and passed VA with no problems last year.

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 06:10:53 PM »
I probably averaged about 6 hours a day including barbri class time and not including weekends until the last week or so and passed VA with no problems last year.

Did you not study on weekends, or did you study more than 6 hours on weekends?

theprocrastinator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 06:14:57 PM »

Point being that I probably could have gotten away with studying a lot less. Some parts of the essays were so hard that no amount of studying would have completely prepared me. It was just a matter of being creative and finding a solution that didn't necessarily fit the problem as well as I would have liked, but that evidenced a knowledge of the law and a somewhat  colorable argument. Other parts were so easy that I was prepared to answer them after having just watched the lecture on the subject or briefly glanced at the outline in the big book. There really wasn't that much in between in my opinion.

theprocrastinator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 06:16:36 PM »

Did you not study on weekends, or did you study more than 6 hours on weekends?

I don't even remember what I did on the weekends to be honest. I know there were some weekends that I didn't study at all and some that I studied a lot, but how much time was spent overall is a complete blur.

mqt

• Sr. Citizen
  • cellar door
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 09:33:30 PM »
I'm kicking my azz trying to learn all this stuff.

Any study strategies?

I've found that the Barbri course is unmanageable... there is just too much stuff to complete at the times they want

I'm currently studying for the bar, and this is my impression:

The barbri course is quite manageable if you just completely ignore the "paced program" study schedule they have set up, go to class when it's scheduled, and study at your own pace in those areas that you feel need more work. Do a few MBE problems here and there, read some of the essay topics, etc, but don't kill yourself. Start ramping up after 4th of July, and once the class is over, spend 4-6 hours a day doing prep.  Remember, the goal isn't to get the "A", it's simply to pass....I think that's the hardest part about which to convince yourself.  Get a baseline competence in each area, and you should be fine. 

mqt

• Sr. Citizen
  • cellar door
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 09:41:54 PM »
Who's doing less than 6 hours a day?  That's pure hubris.  I dont even think the person in the OP's story did that AND passed.

I read this and laughed.  If you don't count the time spent in the lecture (which I assume you don't), I do about 30-60 minutes of prep a day after class.  Every once in a while I'll do 2 or 3 hours.  I don't really consider myself behind, and I certainly don't consider it hubris...it's just what I do because I plan to progressively study more as the date approaches...what works for you works for you.  I have no issue with that, and I wouldn't worry about others that do more or less than you.  We all have our own ways.

On another note, I think there are parallels to law school...some people took the slow and steady approach each semester and others crammed at the last minute.  There is no "right" way that can be applied mechanically to all people...there were top people in our classes from both camps. 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 05:07:46 AM »
I was counting the time in lecture.  I guess this all depends on which state you are studying for?
When a candidate faces the voters he does not face men of sense [but] a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion. As democracy is perfected the White House will be adorned with a moron.

ouffha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 07:14:10 AM »
I agree with everyone on this thread. Even Coxless is speaking logicaly. But this RickLax character, I dunno man..he's just not making any sense to me.

Oh and you don't want to see me handling a Hookah, Coxless. I make circular shapes you only get with the most accurate geometric tools.