Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: False Confidence on the Bar  (Read 3722 times)

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
False Confidence on the Bar
« on: June 29, 2008, 11:57:38 PM »
On Friday night at 1AM, I ran into one of my classmates a Wicker Park hookah lounge.  I’m pretty sure this guy was at the very top of our graduating class. 

Here’s the story he recounted to me:

“My cousin took the bar last year.  He said he did barely any studying in June.  He constantly left the BarBri review lectures early, and got wasted every night.  A week before the exam, reality hit; he got serious and spent every single hour studying.  And guess what?  He passed.  He told me this: “If you just study for one hour every day, you’ll be fine.”

And now, a somewhat related statistic: Last year, of all the students in the upper-half of DePaul’s graduating class (of 220 or so), all but six passed the bar. 

So what the hell am I supposed to do with this anecdote and statistic?  Using them as an excuse to study less? 

-Rick @ http://ricklax.com

ouffha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: False Confidence on the Bar
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 06:05:41 AM »
No reply there, Ricky. And please no curse words. You are free to use words like "H*LL" in your own blog. But when you copy/paste entries from your blog and smear them on LSD, kindly edit out the foul language. This is a family forum.

Luziana

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 08:15:43 AM »
Passing the bar is, in some ways, a fluke.  Some people pass who barely study at all, and others fail who studied their hearts out.  But one of the surest ways to improve one's chances of passing is by working hard...

(At least this is what I keep telling myself to motivate myself.)

ouffha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 08:18:06 AM »

I agree with Luziana, but not with Ricky.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 08:18:22 AM »
I'm kicking my azz trying to learn all this stuff.

Any study strategies?

I've found that the Barbri course is unmanageable... there is just too much stuff to complete at the times they want
When a candidate faces the voters he does not face men of sense [but] a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion. As democracy is perfected the White House will be adorned with a moron.

ouffha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 08:21:21 AM »
You're absolutely right, 008. That is very true. But what Ricky said makes no sense.

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 08:40:41 AM »
I hope a lot of people in VA have that mentality.  It will improve my chances.

Seriously, if you have no job obligations, there is absolutely no excuse not to study at leasts 6 hours per day.  It is just laziness.  Sure, you might pass, but think of the risk.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 08:45:38 AM »
Who's doing less than 6 hours a day?  That's pure hubris.  I dont even think the person in the OP's story did that AND passed.
When a candidate faces the voters he does not face men of sense [but] a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion. As democracy is perfected the White House will be adorned with a moron.

ouffha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 09:37:38 AM »

008 and NoUsername, you are speaking very logically.

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 10:05:26 AM »
Who's doing less than 6 hours a day?  That's pure hubris.  I dont even think the person in the OP's story did that AND passed.

“If you just study for one hour every day, you’ll be fine.”