Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Columbia vs. NYU  (Read 3798 times)

Rhymnoceros

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I'm the mother flippin'"
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Columbia vs. NYU
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2008, 09:55:02 AM »
Don't worry, you live in your Pollyannish paradise of idealism while someone else makes the hard choices for you.

Again, I am curious as to what you've contributed to the American polity that makes you feel entitled to make judgments about others in the manner that you do.

------------------------------

To the OP: one of the major differences between CLS and NYU is that NYU is much more of a stand-alone entity while CLS is more integrated into its parent university.  The distinction just came to mind so I thought I would throw it out in case it was relevant to your decision.

Rhymnoceros: getting started a little early, are we?

Haha, It's totally a joke I swear. I have nothing bad I can seriously say about Columbia. I feel like I have to wait until at least half way through 1L before I can change my name to resident NYU Troll.

kenpostudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - kenpostudent@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2008, 11:04:51 AM »
I reserve the right to tell you that your are an idiot if you publish a ridiculous view. However, I give you the same courtesy to similarly judge any view of mine that you think is foolish or unfounded.

As for my contribution to American policy, how is that relevant? I served in Bosnia. I was a low level enlisted man. I could influence no policies, only carry them out. I don't need to be a policy guru at a Washington think tank to recognize a threat when it is presented.

Well then we end up in a world where people point fingers at each other and call each other idiots simply because they disagree.

And I didn't say policy, I said polity.  It's relevant only in terms of what kind of tone I decide to adopt.

Sorry, I didn't recognize the word. I don't think I have ever used it before. Why do I have to contribute to American polity to judge a foolish proposition? I vote and have served in the military. Moreover, I have a strong desire not to glow in the dark.

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2008, 06:41:55 PM »
Sorry, I didn't recognize the word. I don't think I have ever used it before. Why do I have to contribute to American polity to judge a foolish proposition? I vote and have served in the military. Moreover, I have a strong desire not to glow in the dark.

You don't.  But if you're going to go around suggesting that certain people are traitors, it'd be good to have some idea of who you are so as to have an idea as to how to respond.

kenpostudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2008, 07:51:06 PM »
I believe in loyalty to one's country, though not blind loyalty. Iran is funding the resistance in Iraq the same way we funded the resistance to the Soviets in Afghanistan. We don't need to invite Iran's head of state to our country. Since Columbia University (not the law school) did, I would boycott the law school and any component of the school. That is my opinion. I call Columbia students traitors somewhat tongue in cheek. I don't care if you attend. I simply would not. Patriotic people can attend CLS, though.

Berkeley is off my personal list, as well, because they banned military recruiters. I have friends still in Iraq. I don't like institutions that denigrate our troops, since I wore the uniform. Others feel differently. We have different perspectives.

When it comes to Iran, though, how do people not see them as a very serious threat? Any government attempting to acquire nuclear technology that has close ties to terrorists should automatically be classified as a threat.

fsohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2008, 03:17:24 AM »
Part of the reason people don't see Iran as a serious threat is the fact that most people don't understand the reality of the political situation there.  Ahmadinejad is president, yes, but he does not have anywhere close to the same sort of power as George Bush does in the US.  People may whine and moan about the US being/moving towards being a theocracy (I think they are wrong), but Iran is straight-up a religious state--its official name is "The Islamic Republic of Iran."  If the ayatollahs don't give their go-ahead on anything, it doesn't much matter what the Iranian president says or wants to do.  He could try to start some sort of power struggle and dethrone them, but I would not be too optimistic about his chances.

There is also, as someone else said in this thread, the fact that Israel will destroy any plant they have that is near operational stage, insofar as it is capable of doing so.  They are, for better or worse, like a tripwire for the rest of the world with regards to many of the Middle East conflicts, and if the US or the EU won't act to stop something because they don't have the requisite proof, Israel, whose existence would in a very real way be threatened by a nuclear Iranian state, would act on lesser information and take them out.  Again, for better or for worse, depending on what side of the debate you fall.

Finally, there is the "boy who cried wolf" syndrome, I think.  My parents are both reliable Republican voters who are voting Democratic for the first time in a presidential election, precisely because of the war.  Many people I know are simply not willing to believe anything regarding war from the current administration, since they were mistaken on so many of their estimates, not only intelligence, but also cost and post-war planning.  The American people got a crappy sell on the war in Iraq, and they don't want to see our troop totals in the region swell up to three hundred or four hundred thousand troops on anything other than absolute, ironclad evidence, preferably coming from a neutral, non-Bush-administration program related activity source (sorry, I couldn't resist the jab, and it is late...). McCain seems to be a lot of the same with regards to the war, and if he sells what he has sold so far (that is, the surge), progress means tens of thousands of troops tied up indefinitely while a group of political incompetents jabber at each other and squabble while their own people and our troops die in the streets.  Coming from a military family (Grandpa in WWII, uncles in Korea and Vietnam, dad in the Korean Army) and with the brother of a dear friend of mine in the war zone now, I don't want to see it either.  I think a lot of people are willing to risk sticking their heads in the sand and just ignoring the problem, whatever it might be.

kenpostudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2008, 03:44:53 AM »
I'm not sure what we should do about Iran. We can't invade Iran the way we did Iraq. Besides the fact that we have our hands full in Iraq, Iran is a true Islamic republic, as you pointed out. If we invade Iran, we would invoke the wrath of every Islamic country (not just the radicals from the more militant Middle Eastern nations). China and Russia may decide to intervene. Yet, if we do nothing, there is a strong likelihood that a nuclear suitcase will end up in the hands of a terrorist group.

I'm not convinced that our military, or even Israel, has the capability to conduct an air strike that will disable the Iranian nuclear plants. From what I've heard, they have about six plants that we know about. They are spread out in remote locations throughout the country and are all underground. They are all independent of one another, are well guarded with anti-air defenses, and could survive almost anything but a direct nuclear strike (which we will never initiate preemptively). I'm not sure a MOAB would disable the facilities without a direct hit. How do we take them out? Even if we could get one, it is almost impossible to get them all in one strike. Finally, let's not forget that these are the plants that we know about. If we could take them all out, they may only be the tip of the iceberg.

It would appear that regime change through covert operations is our best option. Yet, that is not without its own set of obstacles. No clear solutions are evident.

MorningYellofHorror

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2008, 03:49:03 AM »
What a silly tangent.

To the original poster, my first choice would be Columbia.  I base that on nothing but intuition.  Take a look at the schools' websites, get a sense of their neighborhoods and visit if you can.  Then spend some time with your gut. 

Apart from money, I don't think you're going to get an objective standard by which to answer this. 

argo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2008, 05:55:52 PM »
Columbia is Old Money, NYU is Nouveau Riche with all the implications that follow hence.
--
"And that is what is so great about the Internet. It enables pompous blowhards to connect with other pompous blowhards in a vast circle-jerk of pomposity."

-Bill Maher

kenpostudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2008, 04:27:01 AM »
Columbia is Old Money, NYU is Nouveau Riche with all the implications that follow hence.

Aside from the broad generalization, that is about as much of a difference as you will find between the two schools. They are miles from each other, nearly the same cost to attend, virtually the same reputation, will provide identical job prospects, and will likely even give you virtually the same legal education. Just flip a coin.

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2008, 05:14:59 PM »
Finally someone is addressing this pressing question!