Law School Discussion

Columbia vs. NYU

Re: Columbia vs. NYU
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 05:12:38 PM »
I don't doubt that you are right. Unfortunately, I have no choice in paying taxes (if I wish to stay out of prison). I can choose not to attend CLS.

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 07:06:27 PM »
I can't lie. If I got Columbia at my own expense v. a full ride just about anywhere else, I'd still go.

@#!* NYU though.

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 08:24:08 PM »
@#!* NYU though.

Any particular reason why?  ???

argo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 08:44:40 PM »
A large chunk of your tax dollars go to state-backed religious charities in Saudi Arabia which trickle down to fund the same terrorist organisations that provided the majority of the men who flew planes into the Twin Towers and Pentagon. Having Ahmedinejad speak here pales in comparison. Either way, I'd like to see some legitimate sources regarding his funding of anti-troop militias in Iraq.

Actually, those would be Sunni terrorists, e.g. Al Qaida.  Iran sponsors Shia terrorists, e.g. Hezbollah and Iraqi militias.  I'm not disagreeig with you necessarily, just correcting some facts.

argo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 08:58:51 PM »
He is more than a detractor. If he were simply that, then I would personally invite him to speak at any law school. However, he is much more. He is actively funding the militias that are fighting our troops. That makes him an enemy.

If someone speaks ill of my family, I don't care so much. We can chat over coffee. When someone dispatches hitmen to kill my family, well, we can have coffee only if I'm pouring boiling hot coffee over their genitals. That's the difference.

Now had CLS invited the jack-ass to speak only to have snipers waiting for him, then I would give the dean a medal.

One could argue that American soldiers had no business in their land.  Others could counter-argue that they deposed a brutal dictator who deserved hot coffee poured over his genitals.  Others could counter-argue, yet again, that there are other brutal dictators in this world who should have their genitals fed to wild hyenas. 

The point is, there are nuances to all of this.  A word that those corrupt criminals who sent American soldiers to Iraq with no planning, whatsoever, don't have in their vocabulary.

One point on Ahmadenijad, however you spell his name, he's just a marionette in ayatollahs' hands.  He's a front man (kinda like Bush).

One thing to point out about Columbia (it was the University, not the Law School that invited him) is that once you invite somebody to visit, you don't take half-an-hour to denegrade them.  It shows low class.  Either don't invite him, which would be perfectly fine with me, or shut the @#!* up and behave like a human being.  Their dean was trying to please everybody and looked like an a-hole.

CLS is still better than NYU. 

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 09:05:18 PM »
A large chunk of your tax dollars go to state-backed religious charities in Saudi Arabia which trickle down to fund the same terrorist organisations that provided the majority of the men who flew planes into the Twin Towers and Pentagon.

This is somewhat like saying that excessive fuel consumption helps fund terrorism.  Are you suggesting that driving an SUV or a pickup truck is somehow unpatriotic?*

*This is said tongue-in-cheek, in case it was unclear.

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 11:46:25 PM »

[/quote]

One could argue that American soldiers had no business in their land.  Others could counter-argue that they deposed a brutal dictator who deserved hot coffee poured over his genitals.  Others could counter-argue, yet again, that there are other brutal dictators in this world who should have their genitals fed to wild hyenas. 

[/quote]

Well, there was no one clamoring to invite Fidel Castro or Nikita Kruschev to an American university in the 1960s (or at least no one with the power to accomplish the task). I think the whole thing was a spectacle. Where was Leonidas to throw him in the pit of death? Seriously, do you think the Spartans would have invited Darius to speak at the the Acropolis?

The man is clearly our enemy. It makes no difference to me why he is our enemy. Maybe the Shiite militias have a valid cause to expel American troops from Iraq in their own minds. Even if we are there unjustly (which I don't believe, but I'll concede that point for argument's sake), why should we invite a man to speak who is building a nuclear program that will likely be deployed against us or our allies someday?

I did love the entertainment value of his remark on gays. He claims there are no gays in Iran... maybe that is why he spends much of his time abroad. No, on second thought, if he were gay , he would dress way better.

Rhymnoceros

• "I'm the mother flippin'"
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 06:34:23 AM »
Holy thread detours batman.

If I were to get into both schools, which one is better?  Are the opportunities similar?  Has anyone before been faced with this dilemma?

You're not alone. My research, based on skimming forums and LSN, has led me to conclude that everyone and their mother has been faced with this dilemma. And excluding those fortunate souls who also get into HYS or who get a full ride at one of the schools,  everyone faced with this decision will spend hours agonizing what choice to make but then will become stalwarts that brutally defend their school and mock anyone that even considers the other. So to continue the tradition, ahem, Columbia? What are you thinking? That's a TTT.

But seriously, employment oppurtunities are very similar, so unfortuantely there is no easy answer. It will probably be your feel of the school that will make one stand out. Although, depending on what you specifically want to do or what your interests are, there are differences in course, journal, and clinical offerings that may sway you. If you obsessively reseach the schools, like I did for hours upon hours, you'll find the minute distinctions that will help you differentiate the two and make a decision. But no point in stressing too much yet.

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 10:23:35 AM »
@#!* NYU though.

Any particular reason why?  ???

Just something about NYU that's always rubbed me the wrong way. It probably doesn't help that I've never met anyone from NYU that I liked.

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 10:39:42 AM »
But seriously, employment oppurtunities are very similar, so unfortuantely there is no easy answer. It will probably be your feel of the school that will make one stand out. Although, depending on what you specifically want to do or what your interests are, there are differences in course, journal, and clinical offerings that may sway you. If you obsessively reseach the schools, like I did for hours upon hours, you'll find the minute distinctions that will help you differentiate the two and make a decision. But no point in stressing too much yet.

How do you distinguish between two schools so close to each other geographically and hierarchically? I honestly can't see how one is really better than the other. Visit both. Maybe you can visit with the faculty of both schools and pick the one whose faculty you can develop the greatest rapport with. I don't think there are major differences in any meaningful category between the two schools. It will probably come down to soft factors like the neighborhood of the campus, the general feel you get from the univeristy, the vibe you get from the faculty, ect. You can always enter them both in Cooley's ranking system and see which one they say is better...jk.