Law School Discussion

Columbia vs. NYU

Columbia vs. NYU
« on: June 29, 2008, 08:25:39 PM »

If I were to get into both schools, which one is better?  Are the opportunities similar?  Has anyone before been faced with this dilemma?

Re: Columbia vs. NYU
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 08:38:21 PM »
NYU all the way. Columbia is for traitors...the let the Ahmedinejad speak there.

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 09:13:59 PM »
NYU all the way. Columbia is for traitors...the let the Ahmedinejad speak there.

Did you actually watch that? They let him speak, but they also spent about an hour talking *&^% to him and basically telling him that we were going to jack his bad country just to take a *&^% on it.

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 12:21:26 AM »
Despite my obvious disdain for Columbia for letting an enemy of our country deliver a speech on their campus, I would honestly say that there is probably little, if any, difference between the two schools as far as the quality of their law schools. You'll probably see no difference in your legal career regardless of which you choose to attend. It's like trying to compare Harvard and Yale. This is even a tougher comparison, since the two schools are literally right down the street from one another. Columbia has a nicer campus, but it's also in Harlem.

Personally, I scrap both and go to USC.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 04:58:49 AM »

I'm amused at how you referred to him as "the Ahmedinejad".

To the OP: the schools provide similar opportunities post-graduation.  Many people make this decision and in general people go with the one that feels like a better "fit".  Myself personally, I chose CLS over NYU.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 02:56:05 PM »
I wouldn't attend CLS if they gave me a full-ride and paid me a stipend. That is just me, though. I wouldn't quite fit in. I don't fault anyone who chooses to attend, though. I mean, patriotism isn't for everybody  ;).

Seriously, though, I wouldn't go to any NYC school. I'm from CA and can't stand the cold. Both are fine schools, though. It's like trying to distinguish between USC and UCLA (even though everyone knows USC is superior); they are ranked so close that there is virtually no difference... and they are about 20 minutes away from each other. Pick the one you like the best. Since you have to donate a kidney to afford the tuition at either, you might as well just roll the dice.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 03:28:05 PM »
Yes, yes. Let us deny our detractors a forum for the discussion of controversial and unpopular ideas. Now that's what I call patriotic!

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 04:06:08 PM »
He is more than a detractor. If he were simply that, then I would personally invite him to speak at any law school. However, he is much more. He is actively funding the militias that are fighting our troops. That makes him an enemy.

If someone speaks ill of my family, I don't care so much. We can chat over coffee. When someone dispatches hitmen to kill my family, well, we can have coffee only if I'm pouring boiling hot coffee over their genitals. That's the difference.

Now had CLS invited the jack-ass to speak only to have snipers waiting for him, then I would give the dean a medal.

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 04:10:06 PM »
I wouldn't attend CLS if they gave me a full-ride and paid me a stipend. That is just me, though. I wouldn't quite fit in. I don't fault anyone who chooses to attend, though. I mean, patriotism isn't for everybody  ;).

I am curious as to what you've done for the country that makes you feel that you're entitled to pass judgment on what is patriotic and what is treasonous.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 04:59:53 PM »
A large chunk of your tax dollars go to state-backed religious charities in Saudi Arabia which trickle down to fund the same terrorist organisations that provided the majority of the men who flew planes into the Twin Towers and Pentagon. Having Ahmedinejad speak here pales in comparison. Either way, I'd like to see some legitimate sources regarding his funding of anti-troop militias in Iraq.