Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone from Boalt Hall? (Alumni or current)  (Read 505 times)

rube

• View Profile
Anyone from Boalt Hall? (Alumni or current)
« on: June 29, 2008, 10:23:11 PM »
I just want to know what your transcript was like and what you did to get into Boalt.

I was thinking of majoring in rhetorics, but then I realized that Boalt was very competitive (like any other law school) so double majoring would make you "stand out", given you have at least a 3.75 gpa, and at least a 165 on the lsat.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone from Boalt Hall? (Alumni or current)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 10:56:07 PM »

OP: I did not have a 3.75 GPA, but I had a high LSAT score. No strong soft factors, real extracurriculars, double-major, or interesting work experience. Slightly quirky personal statement.

Double majoring will make no difference at all. Maybe if it's something you are really passionate about it could give you something to write about, but so could joining the hacky sack team, if that's what you really love. Law school admissions, for Boalt or anywhere else, are mostly about LSAT and GPA, although Boalt is ever-so-slightly more quirky about admissions for people that they find "interesting." A high enough GPA and LSAT and it won't matter, though. Seriously, though, you're better off cultivating an interesting hobby or leadership position than double-majoring. Find something you like, and you'll be able to write something interesting about it.

I don't know where you are in school, if you haven't chosen your college major yet, but it's probably a little early to be so wedded to any particular law school. Boalt is great, but so are a lot of other schools. If you feel pretty certain that you want to go to law school, keep an eye on your GPA, but otherwise try to have fun and get involved with something you love during college. You'll have plenty of time to figure out which law school is right for you once you are actually applying. Seriously.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 11:09:09 PM »
This is true.  Summer needs to end soon before I continue doing that.

To be fair, 27% NLJ250 placement is whatever it means.

To be fair, this issue has been rehashed many, many, MANY times by people who have actually been through it. Based on the 2Ls and 3Ls at Boalt I've talked to who have been through OCIP, Boalt kids have a very successful record in New York and D.C. when they choose it. They just usually don't.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

rube

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 01:42:29 AM »
Ok, thank god, because I don't want to double major.

Also, can you elaborate on your second post? I don't know what 2L/3L OCIP and the other stuff are

consider me clueless....:D