Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Resume writing service - Ever use one?  (Read 2367 times)

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Resume writing service - Ever use one?
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 10:28:39 PM »
You live in a dream world.  Very few BIGLAW lawyers aren't battling with the billable hour.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 08:05:00 AM »
Ok, your first mistake is stating that an 1800 billable requirement = working 7.2 a day and 1900 = 7.6 hours a day.  To bill those hours, you generally have to be in the office several hours longer because you are constantly doing things that are not billable.  Also, many firms have additionally hours they require for professional development that are on top of the billable requirement and can amount to several hundred or more.

Finally, you can't control when the work is in.  So if there is a slow month, and there always is at a law firm, then you have to play catch up.

So you say you are "going for secondary markets" and then say you are working at two BIGLAW firms this summer.  Are you a summer associate?

http://www.law.yale.edu/documents/pdf/CDO_Public/cdo-billable_hour.pdf

Check out that link as well. 

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 07:58:10 AM »
I'm confused.  You split your summers?  Or you are working part time at two firms?

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 08:12:32 AM »
Defensive much?  I was honestly just asking a question.  However, in answer to yours I also worked a firm gig and I am gainfully employed during the school year.