Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Resume writing service - Ever use one?  (Read 2483 times)

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Resume writing service - Ever use one?
« on: June 29, 2008, 08:24:10 PM »
Anyone ever use a service such as attorneyresume.com? Is it worth it?

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Resume writing service - Ever use one?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 11:11:14 PM »
Anybody?

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 11:31:07 PM »
I don't really see what they would do for me that I couldn't do myself.

This isn't brought about by a dislike for your summer firm, I hope.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 07:53:07 AM »

No, not at all.  I love my summer firm.  Still have to do submit bids, though since offers don't go out until after the bid submission deadline, ya know?  I looked at the service mainly because I'm too busy to really mess with my resume and my career development office is booked solid due to upcoming fall recruitment.

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 07:22:48 AM »

No, not at all.  I love my summer firm.  Still have to do submit bids, though since offers don't go out until after the bid submission deadline, ya know?  I looked at the service mainly because I'm too busy to really mess with my resume and my career development office is booked solid due to upcoming fall recruitment.

I see.  Well good to hear that the summer firm's fine.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 09:14:22 PM »
I think it is pretty rare for a summer associate not to have a good experience at a large firm.  They pay you market, they wine and dine you, and give you interesting assignments.

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 07:15:21 AM »
I think it is pretty rare for a summer associate not to have a good experience at a large firm.  They pay you market, they wine and dine you, and give you interesting assignments.

Well yes, hence the concern if you don't like the place.  I mean if you're not enjoying your summer, something has seriously gone wrong, right?

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 08:02:54 AM »
Yellow: I would say it may be possible to not like the firm, as anything is possible.  BUT, the reality is that a summer associate may or may not get a real look into the life of a firm associate.  You really are pampered all summer.  It's great, but it's also a bit of a game of "hide the ball."  I think the most important thing to do during the summer is see if you get along with the partners who will be assigning you work as an associate.  If you do, then you are set.

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 06:49:58 PM »
I think it's totally possible to not like the firm culture or not like particular people or the power structure within the firm.  I hope people are looking below the surface at least a little...

I'm just saying if even the surface looks unpleasant, that might be an indicator that things are really nasty below. 

I hope what I'm saying isn't unclear or controversial.  I thought it was pretty straightforward, no?

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 04:49:32 PM »
I don't know... I think people who aren't oblivious can find out a lot about the management of the firm, firm's overall health, the power structure, pay structure, and the firm culture without much effort.  I've worked in two very different firms this summer and feel like I've gotten a good sense of the positives/negatives of both. 

I get that it's not transparent and I understand that attorneys don't get to cut out for a day each week to go on field trips for their own amusement, but I think that someone who is a little intuitive/inquisitive/observant can find out a lot if they ask the right questions and know what they're looking for.

For example, although I may leave at 5:00 every day, it's worth hanging around until 8 or 9 some days to see who is there.  And I may not be in until 9, but I'll come in at 6 one morning to see who is already there...

Regardless of where you go, BIGLAW will have some late nights.  That is the nature of billable hours.