Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Top 12% at T4, what's out there?  (Read 1383 times)

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
Top 12% at T4, what's out there?
« on: June 29, 2008, 11:57:55 AM »
Ok, so I missed the top 10% by a fraction of a point.  (So cautionary tale to people who are convinced that they'll make Top 10%).  Not too worried, I have a decent resume otherwise, and while I envy BigLaw money, I don't envy BigLaw hours.
And, I am very comfortable with my ability to get a job in family law/estate planning, where I have a lengthy background, and current internship. 

But, what all do you guys think I could shoot for in addition to that?  I'm open to other avenues of employment if they make sense.

33/294, Law Review, Two Oral Advocacy Award, Research Assistant, Tutor, all around nice guy (which I've been told I can't put on my resume).

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
Re: Top 12% at T4, what's out there?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 03:49:26 PM »
Well, time to brush off those Burger King applications I suppose.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 03:58:13 PM »
What about G-ment, you should have a chance at some local goverment jobs, also clerking? Hell its like late for cleark apps so get on that if its an appealing option. PI if you don't have much debt, lots of PI family work, also small/mid family law (most are this size anyway). You got lots of options so long as you don't just sit on your ass and wiat for somome to come up and hand you a job, you don't have the luxery at your school, so go make it happen. Your grades plus networking, plus family law conatcts you should be golden. Good luck.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Legal Ease

• I live in a barn!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 04:47:58 PM »
has your school's career services office put out their OCI listings yet?  i see a lot of firms asking only for top 15% or top 1/3, or sometimes just top 50% or less. i think 88th percentile is good, just not cutting it for some of the biggest law firms.

my opinion: rule out the most selective firms and then take your pick, just make sure you do something you enjoy and perform well in. they say the first job isn't exactly a lifetime commitment.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 05:07:21 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'm not horribly worried.  I doubt I'm in the running for the biggest prestige firms, and that's ok.  I know I could land a local government gig, or a small firm gig.  I've got the OCI list, and I've kind of narrowed down my targeted firms to the mid-sized firms that I have some sort of connection to, however tenuous. 

It will be interesting to see what (if any) offers I wind up with out of OCI.  I know that at a T4 to be competitive you should really be top 10 or top 5.  I'm curious whether it's a soft border, or a cut-off.  I know the biggest firms won't look at me, but the ones that say Top 15% I think I have a fair chance at.

Thanks for the suggestions on staying proactive.  I'm definitely doing a lot of the leg-work.  Our career services office is great, but I figure that the person with the largest stake in anything should always expect to do the most work.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 05:39:15 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'm not horribly worried.  I doubt I'm in the running for the biggest prestige firms, and that's ok.  I know I could land a local government gig, or a small firm gig.  I've got the OCI list, and I've kind of narrowed down my targeted firms to the mid-sized firms that I have some sort of connection to, however tenuous. 

It will be interesting to see what (if any) offers I wind up with out of OCI.  I know that at a T4 to be competitive you should really be top 10 or top 5.  I'm curious whether it's a soft border, or a cut-off.  I know the biggest firms won't look at me, but the ones that say Top 15% I think I have a fair chance at.

Thanks for the suggestions on staying proactive.  I'm definitely doing a lot of the leg-work.  Our career services office is great, but I figure that the person with the largest stake in anything should always expect to do the most work.

Keep that in mind and you'll do fine. I would recoemnd joining and going to your local bar assn. meetings. Also, you just finshed 1L right? Check here for http://www.innsofcourt.org/ for local Inns of Court, join and go, its like $50 for studnts for the year, each meeting will have 100 or so judges/lawyers in one room with you for 3 hours each month. You have to drool on yourself not to get a job from there, all my offers have come from Inn memembrs, from judges to big firms, its great. 
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 06:47:57 PM »
I've never really heard of the Inns of Court, so that's an awesome suggestion, thanks!