Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ..DAR..FUR...tantalizing diplomacy...  (Read 14017 times)

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
Re: ..DAR..FUR...tantalizing diplomacy...
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2008, 09:34:33 PM »
ICC prosecutor to hold talks on Darfur case
The Associated PressPublished: September 22, 2008

E-Mail Article

Listen to Article

Printer-Friendly

3-Column Format

Translate

Share Article

Text Size

THE HAGUE, Netherlands: The prosecutor of the International Criminal Court is traveling to the United Nations to urge world leaders not to freeze his Darfur genocide case against Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir.

Sudan is sending a delegation to this week's General Assembly to lobby for the case to be suspended. The African Union also wants the case to be put on ice.

Luis Moreno-Ocampo alleges al-Bashir is behind attempts to wipe out members of three African tribes in Sudan's western Darfur province.

He says his request for the world's first permanent war crimes court to issue an arrest warrant for al-Bashir is a challenge to the international community.

In a statement Monday, Moreno-Ocampo said world leaders "have to protect the victims."

If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2008, 12:29:47 AM »
...more arrests to follow...

Reported detention of Darfur crimes suspect welcome: UN
8 hours ago

UNITED NATIONS (AFP) Reports that Sudan has detained militia leader Ali Kosheib for crimes in Darfur are a "welcome step" toward ending impunity in the war-torn region, UN spokeswoman Michele Montas said Wednesday.

"If confirmed, this is a welcome step towards the vital need to end impunity and bring to justice those responsible for crimes in Darfur," she told a press briefing.

She said UN chief Ban Ki-moon had taken note of the reported development.

Tuesday, Idris Suleiman, deputy head of Sudan's mission in Cairo, said that Kosheib, the Khartoum-backed Janjaweed militia leader, would be brought to court in Darfur at a date set by a judge, "likely in the next week."

Suleiman said Kosheib has been in custody for months, and that the probe accelerated after the justice ministry appointed a special prosecutor in August and access to witnesses became easier.

Thirteen cases of crimes in Darfur are being investigated, he said, although he declined to say how many suspects were involved.

The International Criminal Court, whose chief prosecutor is asking for a warrant for Sudanese President Omar el-Beshir, issued a warrant for Kosheib in 2007 for crimes against humanity and war crimes.

The court said Kosheib enlisted, armed, funded and supplied the Janjaweed militia and "personally participated in some of the attacks against civilians."

The ICC also issued a warrant for Sudanese cabinet minister Ahmed Harun, but Suleiman said there had been no investigation of Harun in Sudan.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2009, 01:13:27 PM »
indigos and rukha d'koodsha are focusing on bashir

'An accord is not possible. Bashir must be judged first'Angelique Chrisafis in Goz Beda

The Guardian,

Thursday 5 March 2009

Article historySix years after Oumba Daoud Abdelrasoul fled the conflict in Darfur he still lives in a refugee camp in eastern Chad. Across a border and 90 miles from the village he left as it was burnt to the ground, he remembers gunfire and corpses scattered and rotting in the scrub as the survivors ran.

"My younger brother and my two uncles had their throats slit in front me. I had to watch as others were thrown alive into fires. The village was burnt, the government ordered scorched earth all the way to the border," he said. Gathered with him, refugee village leaders from the Dadjo and Massalit peoples told how women and girls were pulled aside and raped as militiamen on horseback and in pick-up trucks surrounded villages.

In Djabal refugee camp, one of 12 camps that stretch the length of eastern Chad's arid, dusty border with Sudan, the village leaders from the Darfur tribes were yesterday waiting by their mobile phones for the international criminal court's warrant for the arrest of Sudan's president, Omar al-Bashir, for crimes against humanity and war crimes. In 2003, after ethnic African tribes from Darfur staged a revolt against Khartoum over neglect and discrimination, the government mobilised militias of Arab herders known as Janjaweed, who collaborated with the military in a campaign of murder, pillage and rape against civilians. The wave of killing in Darfur left as many as 300,000 people dead and drove 2.7 million from their homes.

"We want justice, we want rights and then compensation for what we lost. I don't believe an accord with the government is possible; Bashir must be judged first," said Abdullah Djouma Abaka, the leader of a destroyed Masselit village. "I'm haunted by the fact that as we were fleeing, I saw bodies on the ground, I recognised the faces. These were people I knew and I couldn't stop to bury them. I might live here, but my heart is there in the village. People are still terrified and we can't go back."

Djabal refugee camp is now a vast village of 17,000 people, with a market, barber's and a micro-economy of its own. Women outnumber men, who were the first targets of the militia's bullets. But survivors, especially women and rape victims, are still traumatised and living in fear. Along the border in eastern Chad, on sites open to the surrounding countryside, refugees and displaced people live under a constant threat of violence, including rape, robbery, inter-ethnic clashes, beatings while working in the fields and recruitment of boys as child soldiers for rebel groups - especially in north-eastern Chad. In some camps more than half the population is under 18 and some boys are thought to voluntarily join the shifting patchwork of rebel groups, seeing no other future for themselves but extreme poverty. The lawless border area is awash with automatic weapons and rife with banditry. Humanitarian workers and NGOs have been the target of robberies, carjackings and murder. The European force, Eufor, and a UN-trained police force are working to deter attacks but a culture of impunity and lawlessness still prevails.

Oumba Jacoub and other village chiefs laughed bitterly at the prospect of going home. "The government armed the Janjaweed," he said. "If we rebuilt our village, Bashir would have it destroyed in two or three days." He said that among those who stayed in Darfur women still feared going out to look for firewood or water in case they were raped. He felt no negotiations were possible. "Sudan's government has to change first; Bashir has to go."

Eastern Chad's swath of semi-desert contains 250,000 Darfur refugees and 180,000 displaced Chadians after Janjaweed incursions over the border. Chad, one of the poorest, most corrupt and least stable African countries, had its own ethnic, rebel and banditry problems long before the Darfur conflict seeped over. Irish peace enforcement troops in the village of Goz Beda have been preparing evacuation routes for humanitarian workers in case Chadian rebels backed by Sudan flex their muscles. Governments in Chad and Sudan accuse each other of supporting anti-government rebels and militias. Chad's army is believed to have 20,000 troops at the border in case rebels appear, but on a vast, lawless, ill-defined frontier, it is hard to know who is who