;

Poll

ssia

yes
 14 (77.8%)
no
 4 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Is it obnoxious to interject your school rank or LSAT score into a story where..  (Read 1249 times)

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Is it obnoxious to interject your school rank or LSAT score into a story where it is irrelevant?  I have noticed a lot of this around here.

If I am telling a story about something I saw while driving, do I need to talk about how nice my car is?  If I am talking about a person who I saw in the mall, do I need to explain that I had just bought several hundred dollars worth of clothes and eaten a $50 dinner?  To me it just seems like obnoxious gloating.

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Is it obnoxious to interject your school rank or LSAT score into a story where it is irrelevant?  I have noticed a lot of this around here.

Example.

"I'm a 0L and have been accepted to a T25 and awarded a full-tuition merit scholarship.  I was looking through my old application files today for an unrelated reason, and noticed that on the application for my school I failed to disclose an incident..."

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile

Example.

"I'm a 0L and have been accepted to a T25 and awarded a full-tuition merit scholarship.  I was looking through my old application files today for an unrelated reason, and noticed that on the application for my school I failed to disclose an incident..."

Well, to be fair, that poster didn't list his LSAT, and he has no class rank.  And I do think that information was relevant.  He was describing how much he has at stake in not disclosing, and to me, seemed to be worried about the school rescinding his scholarship or acceptance entirely.  I didn't take it as bragging, FWIW.

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

Well, to be fair, that poster didn't list his LSAT, and he has no class rank.  And I do think that information was relevant.  He was describing how much he has at stake in not disclosing, and to me, seemed to be worried about the school rescinding his scholarship or acceptance entirely.  I didn't take it as bragging, FWIW.

I wasn't really focusing exclusively on that post, its just an example.  I have seen a lot of it around here where the relevance is very attenuated.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Oh, I'm not disagreeing with your overall point - I voted that it was obnoxious.  I just didn't think that post was even an example, let alone a good one.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Yes, yes it is.

When it gets really bad is when someone arbitrarily adjusts the T# to work for them, i.e. I attend a T22 or I was admitted to a T64 or some other such nonsense. I always view it as someone being a female dog about not getting into HYS and trying to vaguely associate their school with all the schools ranked higher.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
My favorite was "Do I need to buy a suit?... I'll be attending a T5" ... obnoxious to say the least.

The disclosure guy, not so much.
UVA Law Class of 2011

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I think the disclosure guy was obnoxious because that information is not relevant to the bar. He has nothing more to lose than any of the rest of us, as we all need to eventually pass the bar to do our jobs.

Bulldog is right about the T5 suit guy. I called him out on it as soon as I read it.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
I think the disclosure guy was obnoxious because that information is not relevant to the bar. He has nothing more to lose than any of the rest of us, as we all need to eventually pass the bar to do our jobs.

Bulldog is right about the T5 suit guy. I called him out on it as soon as I read it.

I don't think he was talking JUST about the bar; he was talking about the possible effects on his acceptance AND his scholarship AND the bar.  It wasn't just one or the other.  And he even confirmed that in that thread by later emphasizing that his main concern was his financial aid/scholly, IIRC.

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
FOr the record the suit guy was one of Wally's alts...
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament