Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.2 at BC/BU I want to hit the ground running. What do I do?  (Read 1674 times)

bigwolf

• View Profile
    • Email
I want to work in NY. What can I do get the ball running. I know biglaw is out of the picture, I'll settle for a nice midsized firm. What do I do?? I'm really totally clueless.

USC313

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 3.2 at BC/BU I want to hit the ground running. What do I do?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 04:28:04 PM »
How can you have a 3.2 at BC and BU at the same time?

bigwolf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 05:03:08 PM »
One or the other, not both obviously. I attend either BC or BU.

So what's my strategy folks??

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 07:37:45 PM »

Honestly, smaller and mid-sized firms probably won't hire you until after you pass the bar.

I'd do your best to raise the GPA a bit, try and excel in some other areas like moot court, and maybe even get published in a small journal at a lower tiered school. You should also try to get as much practical experience as possible, either through clinics or internships with big name government agencies in the area you want to practice.

Kittyl30

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 10:32:18 AM »
As a current student at "BU/BC" i know people with that GPA from BU that got large firm jobs.  are you on a journal/doing moot court?
she says she's tired of life
everybody's tired of something..

Transfer09

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 03:08:45 PM »
As a BU/BC student, I can honestly say Biglaw, if that's what you want, isn't out of the picture by any means. 

First off, while the schools curve at a 3.3 in theory, the actual medium is a bit below, so you should be right around the middle of your class (perhaps a hair below).

Second, I know several people with significantly lower GPAs than that working at large law firms in Boston, NYC and DC.  As the other posters have already stated, you'll just have to work harder (likely resorting to waves of mass mailings as the fall term goes on), interview better and, ideally, have an angle of some sort (ie demonstrable interest in a particular legal speciality, geographic ties, URM status, etc) to get in, but it's definitely possible.

AspenLizzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 09:23:00 AM »
There's a great book for job seekers.  It's called Guerilla Tactits for landing the legal job of your dreams.  I'm reading it now and it gives a lot of good tips on how to make your resume stand-out despite a lacklustre gpa.