Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Serious queston about disclosure - help!  (Read 626 times)

giffingood

• View Profile
Serious queston about disclosure - help!
« on: June 28, 2008, 02:43:25 PM »
Hey all,

I have run into a dilemma--here is a quick description:

I'm a 0L and have been accepted to a T25 and awarded a full-tuition merit scholarship.  I was looking through my old application files today for an unrelated reason, and noticed that on the application for my school I failed to disclose an incident that occurred my sophomore year of college.  One of the questions in the disclosure section of the application asked whether I had ever been reprimanded or subject to any disciplinary action by any college or university, and if so, it instructed me to write a brief description (pretty standard stuff).  I have indeed been the subject of disciplinary action--in the fall of my sophomore year (fall '05), I was written up by my RA for having an open bottle of wine in my room, and I had to pay a $100 fine and take an online alcohol.edu course.  I don't think that this is a big deal at all, and I disclosed this incident on literally every application I sent out except for the one to the school which I plan on attending--I don't know why this is the case, other than it was one of the very first apps I filled out and I just genuinely forgot or didn't read the question carefully enough.

I just realized my mistake this morning, and I don't know how to proceed.  My UG institution destroyed my personal file upon my graduation, but they keep an electronic record of disclinary stuff indefinitely.  I'm afraid that disclosing this information might cause a huge hassle for the admissions and financial aid people--i.e. they might have to go and revise my app and scholarship or something, all for a very tiny and seemingly inconsequential incident.  At the same time, I was clearly instructed to disclose ANY discpline I'd recieved as an UG, and I failed to do so.  What would you do?   

*I realize that I made this exact same post on the students/graduates side of the board.  I'm not trying to be a d-bag or anything--I'd just like as much input as possible, and it's pretty dead over there right now.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
Re: Serious queston about disclosure - help!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 02:48:36 PM »
You need to disclose it.  To be admitted to the bar in most states, they compare your bar application and LS apps.  If there is a difference between the two it will be a much bigger hassle.  It could delay your admission to practice, which your employer will not appreciate.  The one thing you will learn in law school is that in many areas, erring on the side of disclosure is usually the best tactic.  Contact your school right away.

giffingood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 02:54:41 PM »
Thanks for the answer--

So if I do call on Monday or whenever, what should I do?  How should I approach this?

I'm guessing I should call the admissions counselor and tell her what I just told you.  What is the process then?  Can she just be like "Ok" and add it to my file, or is it going to cause them a bunch of grief?

I guess I'm interested in the consequences of doing this--

giffingood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 03:49:45 PM »
no one else?  really?

Seems like everyone on this board has tons of advice to give until I actually need some.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 05:14:06 PM »
I also think you pretty much have to disclose it. I'd say do just like you're planning and call them on Monday, see what happens.

I really don't know the process for how they handle situations like this, but I don't see how it would be a deal breaker.

Keep us posted.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

dsetterl

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 05:22:25 PM »
Yeah it is really not that big of deal. THis actually happened to me, but before I was accepted. I went and told them and I was allowed to type up an addendum and sign my initials on the character section of the application. I do not think something as silly as having an open wine bottle will make them revoke your scholarship. Just be honest and they will be cool about it. I forgot to add it to my first app as well, just nerves I guess, and my offense happened when I was 16 years old.