Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Petitioning for Re-grade of an exam  (Read 1738 times)

wantedalive

• View Profile
Petitioning for Re-grade of an exam
« on: June 28, 2008, 03:44:41 AM »
Hello everyone,

I just came along this website and it seems like a great place for law students. I have a question that I was hoping some experienced law students can answer.

I recently received my grades for spring semester 1L,and I was shocked by one of the grades. I basically failed the course and will have to retake it. I missed passing the course by .1 of a grade. Basically I needed a 2.0 to pass and received a 1.9.

I know the first step in this situation is to meet up with the Prof and see what went wrong and I did this. Still, I was not satisfied with what the professor stated went wrong. He began by mentioning the forced curve and how someone had to fail. The only ensight he gave me into why I failed was because he felt I needed more application of statutes.  I know I could have put more work into the course but I do NOT feel I neglected the course to the point where I failed it. In fact, I prepared for the class well.  Read everything, briefed, and even outlined. Also, met with study group twice weekly for course. I studied for the exam adequately and used other commerical resources as supplements. Also, on the exam answer grid, it appears I nailed most of the issues and the problem was my application of the law.

Considering I passed all of the remainder of my courses, and did not have any similar hold up, do you believe I am a candidate for re-grade? What negatives could come from petitioning for a regrade? I know the likelihood of success is low since professors have a brotherhood and wouldn't normally overturn each other. Should I just put this bad experience behind me and move on and learn from my mistake? Or should I put up a fight?

It could be the difference in having to retake the course and not having to.

I am not looking to use my Prof. as a scapegoat. I just would like others experience with petitioning for an exam regrade. Thanks in advance and god bless.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Petitioning for Re-grade of an exam
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 09:18:07 AM »
You need to go to your student handbook (or find it somewhere) and figure out what the grounds and procedure are for contesting a grade.

If you decide to pursue it, I wouldn't get your hopes up as you may simply be out of luck.  First, stop talking about how you did this, and that, and the other thing to study.  It doesn't matter.  What matters is the forced curve.  You probably wrote an adequate answer.  Even if you wrote a brilliant answer, you still could have ended up on the failing end of the curve if enough other students ALSO wrote brilliant answers.  This is especially true if your school's curve is set pretty low (below 3.0).

As I say with job searches though, don't not try because your chances of success are low.  If, after reading the grade contest procedures you think you may be able to make a colorable claim about this exam, do it.  It likely can't hurt, and if you do end up succeeding, then that's great.  Just don't lay all your hopes and dreams on getting this grade changed.

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 09:28:51 AM »
Does he have to fail somebody?  If yes, you are chances are slim because if they bump you up it means they would have to bump somebody down to a fail in that class and they hate doing that. Like Jacy said, you should still try but chances of success are low.  On the other hand, if he merely has to give a certain amount of say C's, then of course it is worth petitioning for.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

wantedalive

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 03:56:32 PM »
Thanks everyone. I will find the student handbook and research it.

My school has a 2.4 curve.

From what I understand, he does NOT have to fail someone as two people could recieve the same grade. Several recieved 2.0's.

I definately think my chances are slim and have already planned ahead for retaking the course. Still I may gave the petition a shot.

More replies are welcome.

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 04:13:42 PM »
My school allows a petition only if one believes that the grade was given for unfair reasons (ie, not based on a good-faith assessment of academic quality), AND if one has achieved below a certain grade.

To be honest, 'application of the law' is 99% of what professors are looking for.  If you're saying that you brain dumped all the concepts properly but failed to apply them to the given fact pattern, I would understand a low mark.  Best of luck.
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

wantedalive

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 06:34:07 PM »
My school allows a petition only if one believes that the grade was given for unfair reasons (ie, not based on a good-faith assessment of academic quality), AND if one has achieved below a certain grade.

To be honest, 'application of the law' is 99% of what professors are looking for.  If you're saying that you brain dumped all the concepts properly but failed to apply them to the given fact pattern, I would understand a low mark.  Best of luck.

My worry is more along the lines if I do petition for regrade, the Prof. will receieve word and If I ever have the professor again, so for a different course, he may target me and give me hell and even go as far as finding my exam number and identifying me as the student who petitioned his exam. I know some professors can be scornful.

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 10:06:12 AM »

My worry is more along the lines if I do petition for regrade, the Prof. will receieve word and If I ever have the professor again, so for a different course, he may target me and give me hell and even go as far as finding my exam number and identifying me as the student who petitioned his exam. I know some professors can be scornful.

Just don't take that prof again.  Thats not a difficult dilemma.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 10:33:22 AM »
the problem was my application of the law.

He took off points for that?

Underrated post.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."