Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: American universities inflated GPA's  (Read 5145 times)

HMMM

• View Profile
American universities inflated GPA's
« on: June 28, 2008, 01:18:10 AM »
I've heard time and time again that average GPA's in US vs Canada differ significantly, and that our neighbors to the south tend to have GPA's that are more inflated than ours.

I recall hearing somewhere (perhaps on this very board a few years back), that most US schools will account for this disparity when considering a Canadian students application..giving it a bit of a "boost" so to speak.

Is this true?

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: American universities inflated GPA's
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 06:09:38 PM »
yes this is true. When I talked to LSAC they said they calculate Canadian GPA's according to however the Canadian school would calculate that student's gpa. When I spoke to my school they said most canadian universities use the OMSAS scale, and  I'm assuming therefore that you can generally figure out your gpa according to that, though I still wish it would get bumped up a bit more.

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 10:01:28 PM »
seriously? i went to york and graduated with a 6.something GPA.

even adjusting to the 4-point system, we had A+s that translate into 4.33.
case '09

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 11:11:50 PM »
Well an A+ on the LSAC scale is a 4.33. This is where my confusion comes in because I have all A's....so this should technically be a 3.8 or a 4.0 or something, but if they calculate my gpa using the OMSAS scale, it goes down to 3.75 which is an A-, so below what my marks are. Not that'll it'll really matter anyway since my poor first year of uni will screw me over anyway....