Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: US law school rankings/admissions  (Read 4394 times)

HMMM

• View Profile
US law school rankings/admissions
« on: June 28, 2008, 12:49:28 AM »
Hi,
I'm a canadian looking to head down south to attend law school and work.  I recall having seen a large spreadsheet online at one time, listing the rankings of law schools from 1 to several hundred, with their average GPA and LSAT scores of admitted students listed as well.

Does anyone know where I can find this chart? Or any of this information?

Cheers :)

iceepop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: US law school rankings/admissions
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 10:56:03 AM »
This is probably what you're looking for:

http://www.bc.edu/offices/careers/gradschool/law/lawlocator.html#the25

Good luck!

copeydokey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 11:42:14 AM »
i love canadians!!

you might also want to check out http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/law/search.  that's the list of all the schools and average gpas and lsats.

also, do check out www.lawschoolnumbers.com.  it's a self-selecting group of people, but it'll give you an idea of the kind of numbers it takes to get into the schools you're looking at.

hope that helps!

~steph

AspenLizzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 09:18:38 PM »
this is te single most important reference when targeting schools in the us:
http://www.law.com/img/nlj/charts/composite.pdf

brianwithani

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 09:59:52 PM »
AspenLizzy, that is a great link.  Thank you for posting it. 
"We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, then, is a habit."  Socrates

WashLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 12:17:53 AM »
Does anybody know a good place to look at clerkship prospects? That really is my dream post-grad job. Specifically, I'd like to see something that shows what school place where i.e. Chi places approximately x many clerks in y circuit court in a given year. Thanks.

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 02:04:23 AM »
Does anybody know a good place to look at clerkship prospects? That really is my dream post-grad job. Specifically, I'd like to see something that shows what school place where i.e. Chi places approximately x many clerks in y circuit court in a given year. Thanks.

YALE

AspenLizzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 09:09:33 AM »
That link I posted also shows the precentage of each class that clerked after  3L.  I don't think it differentiates between state and federal programs.  I'm interning in Federal court now and the judges I've asked here say they pick clerks based on their resume, GPA, and writing sample, what school they went to is often not a factor unless they hadn't heard of it.  The federal judiciary is filled with judges from every school and so they understand that not every good applicant went to HYorS. In fact, the judge I work for now went to Stetson.  That being said, the numbers show that a larger precentage of students from prestige schools land clerkships. 

WashLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 10:33:26 AM »
That link I posted also shows the precentage of each class that clerked after  3L.  I don't think it differentiates between state and federal programs.  I'm interning in Federal court now and the judges I've asked here say they pick clerks based on their resume, GPA, and writing sample, what school they went to is often not a factor unless they hadn't heard of it.  The federal judiciary is filled with judges from every school and so they understand that not every good applicant went to HYorS. In fact, the judge I work for now went to Stetson.  That being said, the numbers show that a larger precentage of students from prestige schools land clerkships. 
Cool. Thanks for the advise. I'd really like to see something specifically geared towards federal, but what was really helpful.

AspenLizzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 12:20:48 PM »
One other thing is that Federal clerkship positions are sometimes more influenced by who you know rather than what you know.  You sould seriously look into doing an internship at a federal court while you're still in school, this segways nicely and if your judge likes you he/she will make that all-important phone call.