Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Summer start 1Ls - how hard do you think it is so far?  (Read 761 times)

euphrasie

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - allardjr@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Summer start 1Ls - how hard do you think it is so far?
« on: June 28, 2008, 12:21:46 AM »
Thus far, it's oddly easy. The material is pretty easy to understand (Criminal Law), there isn't too much reading to balance even with working full-time, and briefing/note-taking is the same as what I did in my pre-law undergrad classes. I've also survived my first time in the hot seat with relative success.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, and am well aware that it's only just begun, but I'm feeling a little off-kilter by how easy it is thus far. Anyone else?
Married: Seattle 2011!
Love: Fordham PT, Seton Hall PT, USF PT, Seattle PT, Lewis & Clark PT, USD PT
Like: W&M
Hate: Georgetown PT, Harvard

LSN

euphrasie

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - allardjr@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Re: Summer start 1Ls - how hard do you think it is so far?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 12:51:04 AM »
For summer, yes. But, realistically, if I had two more classes right now, I'd still be fine if they were the same workload as Crim. Maybe I'm clueless and will fail miserably on the final or something, it seems too easy.

Eh? Is Criminal Law your only class?
Married: Seattle 2011!
Love: Fordham PT, Seton Hall PT, USF PT, Seattle PT, Lewis & Clark PT, USD PT
Like: W&M
Hate: Georgetown PT, Harvard

LSN

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 09:41:59 AM »
I felt this way during my first semester until, oh, two months before finals. Then it really picks up and the stress is incredibly high because of outlining and such. It was at my school, anyway.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 11:15:10 AM »
Crim law, along with Torts, isn't bad in terms of reading.  The concepts I think are generally more accessible, so 20 pages of crim law reading will be much easier, IMO, than 20 pages of civ pro and con law.  So don't anticipate that the work will continue being quite so easy once fall starts.

The individual concepts you learn in law school more often than not aren't hard though.  What's hard is assimilating it into one large body of law, and apply that huge body of law effectively, efficiently and in an organized fashion on the final, and do so better than your classmates.  *That's* where the challenge is.   So expect the other shoe to drop a few weeks out from the final (and be warned that you might not even realize its dropped until you get your grade back, which is often the first time people realize they went awry in writing their exam answers)