Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BC v. Chicago-Kent  (Read 789 times)

twitcza

• View Profile
    • Email
BC v. Chicago-Kent
« on: June 27, 2008, 07:33:22 PM »
I was offered a spot in BC's class today off the waitlist but am currently planning on attending Chicago-Kent with a substantial scholarship. BC didn't offer me any financial aid or a scholarship initially. So would it be wise to turn down the offer and attend Kent or accept the spot in BC's class?

Also, I've never attempted to extort scholarship money from a school. What is the best way to approach this situation? Do I have any leverage or am I stuck with BC's money-less offer?

richardblaine

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: BC v. Chicago-Kent
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 07:48:06 PM »
Sounds like the determining factor here is where you want to practice.  If your heart is set on Chicago, I'd say take the scholarship at Kent, but be aware that there will be a lot of competition from graduates of better placing schools.  If you want Boston, or you aren't sure where you'll end up, in my opinion BC is the best choice regardless of debt.

Also, I've never attempted to extort scholarship money from a school. What is the best way to approach this situation? Do I have any leverage or am I stuck with BC's money-less offer?

You won't know if you don't ask.  I know folks who successfully leveraged scholarships from lower ranked schools, and others who were unsuccessful.  Tell them that you would love love love to attend but money is a big concern, and see what they say.

Good luck!

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 07:52:53 PM »
Honestly, BC is probably even better for Chicago.  The difference between a school ranked 20 or 30 isn't that much, but 26 and 66 are in different worlds.

Ask for cash, but go to BC even if it means no aid.

blues86

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 03:53:06 PM »
Hi there twitcza!  I was actually in the same situation as you a few weeks ago.  I was accepted from the waitlist at BC and had to decide between going there at full sticker or going to another Boston law school with a substantial scholarship.

I don't think it hurts at all to ask BC for money.  I recently contacted the financial aid office about this myself, and I actually have a few forms to fill out first, but they were very helpful and I can't imagine they would give you a hard time if you asked about extra funds.  However, as we were both accepted off the waitlist, I have to imagine that they have already dispensed most of their financial aid to students that were admitted via early or regular decision.  Also, I also think that if they have extra money, they would offer it first to people who they feel may be deciding between BC and another school so as to further entice them to attend BC.  With us, we know we're lucky just to be there, so I'm not sure that we would be a priority if BC has extra financial aid to dispense.  So, my advise would to be to definitely contact them if you're unhappy with your financial aid package, but don't be too surprised if they can't add any funds to your package.

I've not done any research on Chicago-Kent, but my biased opinion is that BC is awesome, so I would definitely recommend coming to the Heights in the fall.  Also, if you're worried about debt, BC is apparently a great school for future career prospects (their website says that Princeton Review named them one of the top five law schools for career prospects, and a recent law.com article showed that BC sends ~ 1/3 of their class to the "BigLaw" firms that everyone seems to want to work for).

blues86

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 04:21:53 PM »
Oh, also mate, check out this thread on eagleionline.com (which I just remembered from nukelaw's signature) about why current BC students decided to attend - http://www.eagleionline.com/news/2008/4/4/why-bc.html - Cheers!

twitcza

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 06:41:13 PM »
Does anyone on this board have first-hand experience with or knowledge of BC's Moot Court and Mock Trial programs?

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 07:16:05 PM »
:(

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 07:34:09 PM »
Does anyone on this board have first-hand experience with or knowledge of BC's Moot Court and Mock Trial programs?

Drop me a PM and I'll tell you what I know. I'm on one of the national moot court teams.