;

Poll

Which one should I buy?

Planet Law School
 10 (40%)
Law School Confidential
 15 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Planet Law school or Law school confidential?  (Read 955 times)

TimMitchell

Planet Law school or Law school confidential?
« on: June 27, 2008, 11:44:10 AM »
I'm going to Barnes and Noble now, the winner of the poll after minutes is the book I'll buy.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
Re: Planet Law school or Law school confidential?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 02:51:45 PM »
I actually have a copy of PLS for sale (I am a 3L)

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 09:16:10 PM »
Oh come on...Amazon.com used books, people.

TimMitchell

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 11:04:56 AM »
Oh come on...Amazon.com used books, people.

I buy all my books there, except when I get a $25 gift card to Barnes and Noble  ;)

BTW bought Planet Law school, although the poll has shifted to law school confidential, it was PLS when I bought the book...

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 11:10:56 AM »
I read them both, and although PLS II is by far the scarier and long winded of the two, it has some very useful stuff in it.

TimMitchell

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 11:49:47 AM »
I read them both, and although PLS II is by far the scarier and long winded of the two, it has some very useful stuff in it.

Would you recommend picking up both?

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 11:56:13 AM »
Sure, but you might be able to find LSC at your university library. I read them both from the library and copied out what I needed.

There is soooooo much expense hidden in this process, and I am part of the lovely "working poor" class, so I tend to preview before buying.

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 06:56:34 PM »
PLS and LSC kind of contradict each other in some ways though. And at points PLS comes off as an obvious 'winner' over LSC. Granted I only read a few chapters of LSC (after reading PLS). What I remember from LSC was this guy telling a story about the importance of being prepared for class, with an anecdote about a student getting grilled by his prof for having not read a case, and how embarrassing it was. However, I knew from reading PLS that class participation doesn't effect you final grade, since the final exam is everything. Therefore, getting grilled doesn't really make a difference, and class prep should only be done to the point where you can 'get by', with more time spent on exam prep.

Both books have their issues (and PLS has its crazy conspiracy theories) but PLS seems to be more of a 'realist' view of law school in terms of studying (regardless of whether you prep or not) while LSC seems to dispel the same old conventional wisdom plus 'rainbow briefing'. In other words, LSC seems geared to helping you learn a lot of information pertaining to the law and the cases, while PLS seems geared towards helping you get better grades. So it depends what you are looking for I guess.