Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Piercings on law students  (Read 2351 times)

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Piercings on law students
« on: June 26, 2008, 05:13:17 PM »
I'm sure it varies school to school, but I'm wondering if profs are conservative enough to penalize (maybe subconsciously) those that have piercings?  I'm sure there are LS students with piercings/tattoos, do you feel you may have been seen as less credible because of it?  I have my nose pierced, but always wear a very tiny crystal stud.  Side note: I'd never wear it to an interview and will probably take it out before my first job as a lawyer.

Pearl

• Sr. Citizen
  • I AM THE LAW
    • View Profile
Re: Piercings on law students
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 05:42:09 PM »
I don't believe so, not at UMich at least. My recently-graduated SO has her nose pierced and she takes it out for court, some work, and interviews but never for class, and didn't have any problems.

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 05:57:50 PM »
I don't believe so, not at UMich at least. My recently-graduated SO has her nose pierced and she takes it out for court, some work, and interviews but never for class, and didn't have any problems.

Good to know!  Thanks for the input ;)

dirty dee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 06:03:34 PM »
I actually had some concerns about my tattoo, which is somewhat discrete (on my foot), but nevertheless visible...
sls '11

Bouzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • yummy
    • View Profile
    • Buy This
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
Outside of work/court appearances....seriously no one gives a damn.  Be yourself, you'll be happier that way ;)
1L

"I feel really bad for you. I mean, you don't know anything."

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 01:04:14 PM »
I only speak from experience at USC which is probably not greatly representative in terms of faculty, but professors in general are not conservative at all.

Anyway, when these types of concerns pop into your mind (and it happens all the time, whether you think the prof might have heard you talk behind their back, miss a class, write a bad teacher eval, etc.), remember that law school exams are blind graded.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 01:13:14 PM »
Yeah, blind-graded exams make it hard to penalize, even subconsciously, students for more or less anything. Even without that, I really doubt it would make any difference to any of the profs here, and we (supposedly) have one of the more conservative faculties.

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 01:18:07 PM »
Good to know!  Thanks for all the input!

I was wondering if a piercing in LS would be similar to UG when certain girls would wear skin-tight shirts that said "female dog" or "tease" and the professors would look at them like they had lost their minds to come into class that way!  Glad to know that LS isn't as conservative as it's generally portrayed.

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 10:03:17 AM »
Some of my classmates had nose-piercings and no one seemed to care.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 10:19:57 AM »
I've actually heard that the whole "blind graded" thing is not something you can count on. Professors can change your grade before it is officially recorded.

Not sure if that is true everywhere, but two professors at two different law schools have confirmed.