Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What schools are in my reach?  (Read 2313 times)

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: What schools are in my reach?
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 12:41:24 PM »
Do you have a compelling story behind that GPA?

If so, tell it.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Hwang56

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 08:36:06 PM »
Do you have a compelling story behind that GPA?

If so, tell it.
lol, no compelling story AT ALL. just really lazy, playing poker every night with friends, and taking wrong, needlessly hard classes. calc 400/500, organic chem, tam 300, all these classes i didn't need which completely f'ed me over. it was only bad for like 2 semesters, the rest are mostly b's.

and even if i did have a compelling story, i don't know if anyone here, or more importantly, anyone on the admissions board would care for a sob story, right? i heard that you should avoid telling sob stories to garner sympathy.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 11:00:57 PM »
It's not about sympathy, but demonstrating that the GPA does not represent your abilities or determination. You have to have a good argument to make it worthwhile, however, else you're just blowing hot air.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

Sell Out

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bienvenido al Terrordome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 11:55:30 PM »
Off the top of my head, I would say definitely apply to:

Georgetown
Northwestern
Texas (although the TX resident percentage requirement may hurt you a bit, they love high LSATs).
Boston College

I agree with everyone else who said to apply to everywhere in the top 30.  Even with a 2.5 you should be fine.  A 177 is ridiculous.

Good luck to you.
Rocking in the free world.

UH 2010

Hwang56

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 08:53:42 PM »
It's not about sympathy, but demonstrating that the GPA does not represent your abilities or determination. You have to have a good argument to make it worthwhile, however, else you're just blowing hot air.

so i would just relate that through my personal statement right? like showing that i've taken on other responsibilities, and showing that my gpa doesn't necessarily reflect my work ethic and intelligence?

and falling in line with everyone's comments, i'll definitely spam the t30, see what happens. georgetown is lookin' pretty good, and i wouldn't mind getting into u of i's program either. i'm definitely gonna avoid retaking the lsat, don't wanna screw myself over. the risk outweighs the benefits.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 02:35:37 PM »
I don't think you should use your personal statement to talk about why your GPA does not reflect your abilities. If the statement can do this tacitly, that's obviously fine, but you'll want to have an addendum for the GPA that is separate (only if you have a good reason of course).
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

Hwang56

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 12:27:19 AM »
a lot of people have been saying "georgetown, try it", that's a t14 school...i'm wondering if it's even possible.

i've been going over the numbers on LSN, and there were several people that got into georgetown with 2.something gpa. one was a 2.85, and they had a 172, but that person was a 4-year varsity athlete. there was another person with a 2.58 gpa, and a 174, but that person has a good excuse since her parents died freshman year or something. lastly, there was another person with a 177 lsat, and a 2.9.

all these people had special circumstances that explained their gpa...unlike me.

looking at these numbers, is georgetown possible at all?? i'd really like to go there, but i don't want to get my hopes up.

ahhh, stupid gpa!

I can has lauskul!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 10:59:21 AM »
I agree with spamming the entire T30.  I can see at least maybe Gtown biting.  WUSTL, Emory, W+L also.

This should be relatively easy to do.  With an LSAT score of 177, you should get plenty of fee waivers.  Good luck!

Hwang56

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 06:15:41 PM »
whether i get a fee waiver or not, i'll apply to as many as i can. i'll see which ones bite. i'm just curious as to if georgetown really will bite like some say. i've been looking at the numbers and i've seen people with similar lsats, a 177, and a 176 with a 2.7, and 2.5 gpa, respectively, and they were rejected.

just wondering if a good personal statement, some good work experience, and good letters of recommendations might get me in.

before people posted saying "try georgetown" i thought it was completely out of my reach (might still be). just want some reassurance as to if it's possible. if not, there are plenty of other good law schools i'd be greatful going to

I can has lauskul!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 11:17:28 AM »
whether i get a fee waiver or not, i'll apply to as many as i can. i'll see which ones bite. i'm just curious as to if georgetown really will bite like some say. i've been looking at the numbers and i've seen people with similar lsats, a 177, and a 176 with a 2.7, and 2.5 gpa, respectively, and they were rejected.

just wondering if a good personal statement, some good work experience, and good letters of recommendations might get me in.

before people posted saying "try georgetown" i thought it was completely out of my reach (might still be). just want some reassurance as to if it's possible. if not, there are plenty of other good law schools i'd be greatful going to

Ummmm...you're welcome ::)