Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What schools are in my reach?  (Read 2317 times)

Hwang56

• View Profile
    • Email
What schools are in my reach?
« on: June 26, 2008, 04:35:13 PM »
Hi, I just registered for a new account because I'm curious as to where I stand.

I graduated from the University of Ilinois, with a PoliSci major, and Phil minor.
Unfortunately, I graduated with a 2.5 GPA.
I did score a 177 on the LSAT.
I am Korean, fluent in both English and Korean.
I did a lot of volunteering and participated in many organizations.

I obviously know I'm not getting into top tier law schools for sure. I'm realistic. Is there any hope for me at all though?
I think the only wish school I can apply to is the U of I law program, and that would be a stretch.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention that right now I've taken on a job, a one year program where I teach English to students in Korea. The EPIK program. Don't know if that improves my chances.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What schools are in my reach?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 04:53:48 PM »
Apply to every T30 school you would attend.  See what happens.

California_RedRaider

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 05:14:06 PM »
Actually you're a major splitter and you do have a pretty good chance of getting into a T14 and definitely a T25.

As stated above apply everywhere T30, I'm sure you'll get into some great schools.

Check out LSAC and plug in your numbers, I'd say you're good at quite a few top schools. A 177 is killer and it will definitely make a difference in your admissions.

http://officialguide.lsac.org/UGPASearch/LSATGPA.aspx?ref=inline&sidstring=

Edit:

If you knock out a fantastic PS than you'll be golden. From now until September really work on your PS, start writing down ideas, have a pen and pad with you everywhere and just start writing about everything and nothing, you'll get an idea that just fits.

Hwang56

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 04:04:47 PM »
all right, cool. i'll just apply to all the schools i can, and see what happens. thanks for the input.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 04:49:20 PM »
Though this guy's GPA is a little higher than yours, his LSAT score is 177 (unlike what it says on LSN).

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dadric
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

Hwang56

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 05:02:32 PM »
Though this guy's GPA is a little higher than yours, his LSAT score is 177 (unlike what it says on LSN).

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dadric
oh wow, maybe i have a chance at university of illinois then...maybe since i was an undergrad at u of i, and i have work experience, it might give me the edge needed to get in. i guess i'll have to see.

i might even consider retaking the lsat. i know the odds of improving are slim, but i figure i've got nothing to lose since they will take your highest lsat score, right? my gpa just sucks so much,and that guy had a 2.8 gpa...that's a huge improvement over my 2.5

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 05:19:48 PM »
I really can't imagine a school preferring a 178/179/180 to a 177 in any significant way. The higher score would not do any more to help their median/quartiles, and the number of people scoring above 177 is so small, there is 0 chance that one of them pushes you out. I guess it might help you with a school's "index" formula, but seriously, with splitter stats like yours, I doubt that holds much weight.

Plus, not all schools take the highest, and even among those that do, if you retake and somehow screw it up (or even just drop a few points), it makes your 177 look like luck rather than as impressive as it does on its own. I suspect your application will get a lot of individual attention due to uniqueness, so give them as few reasons as possible to turn you down.
UVA Law Class of 2011

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 05:28:09 PM »
In addition to what bulldog (correctly) said, if you do retake a 177, it might make you look like an idiot even if you do better. That is, it could bring into question not only your priorities, but your ability to make decisions (which will make that GPA look more like what you're going to do in law school).
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

MSW JD

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 06:51:35 AM »
This thread was helpful for me too.  I'm totally hoping to be a splitter. (I have a 2.98 ugpa) Testing high on practice tests so far (170+) but have no idea how the real thing could go... and could totally bomb it.  I plan on taking one full length LSAT every Saturday morning from mid-july to October... so I hope that helps me get into a routine.

Agreed w/the others re: not retaking it... I'm always afraid of doing worse the second go around.  Most people would kill for your score.. apparently.

I am applying to some highly ranked schools but more for geography and their clinical opportunities than b/c of their prestige or a desire to work in a large firm.

Why can't I live somewhere with lower ranking schools?  ha

Good luck to you!

Stylin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 05:29:22 PM »
I agree with spamming the entire T30.  I can see at least maybe Gtown biting.  WUSTL, Emory, W+L also.