Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Princeton Law  (Read 2152 times)

Gitmo Jones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Princeton Law
« on: June 26, 2008, 10:31:35 AM »
If Princeton opened a law school how long before it would be in the Top 14?

Also if it did open would prestige whores apply and consider going?

Gitmo Jones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Princeton Law
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 11:39:58 AM »
bump

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 12:52:23 PM »
I've always thought that no school can legitimately crack the top 100 without having been open for at least 5-7 years, let alone the top 14. I should be able to see how true that is when UC Irvine opens, but I think it will hold. Now if Princeton opened a law school tomorrow, that could make for some interesting ranking developments. So, top 14... I bet they could do it by 2020-2025.

It's actually pretty funny, this topic made me think of a girl that I went to school with. She was a total prestige whore, but was also a highly unprestigious person that constantly lied about everything. One of her favorites (and mine too) was telling people almost all last year that she was going to Princeton for law school and that them and about 20 other schools were offering her full rides because she was going to finish her UG degree when she was like 18. And let me assure you, she was very serious about this, this wasn't just some bad shtick. Of course, I had to hip everyone (even people that didn't know her, just in case it came up) to the fact that Princeton hadn't had a law school in around 150 years and tell them to bait her into talking about law school. Without fail, I'd hear several times a week from several people about how she had told them her Princeton thing or some variation of it. She must have finally figured it out though, because she just stopped talking about Princeton one day and started talking about other schools instead.

Fun times.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

TimMitchell

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 01:06:17 PM »
If Princeton opened a law school how long before it would be in the Top 14?

Also if it did open would prestige whores apply and consider going?

I don't know, it would probably rise pretty quickly. There ARE law students out there that haven't ever looked US News and go to school based on how they like the school or how prestigious they think it is.

If Princeton opened I law school tomorrow I would definitely go, because you know within 10 years it would be T14. Sucks for G-Town

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 01:58:52 PM »
Sucks for G-Town
Nah, then we could finally have a nice round "top 15"... You know GULC trolls aren't going anywhere!
UVA Law Class of 2011

TimMitchell

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 02:17:40 PM »
Sucks for G-Town
Nah, then we could finally have a nice round "top 15"... You know GULC trolls aren't going anywhere!

That's true. I would like to see a nice round T15, maybe we should just start including Vandy.

Gitmo Jones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 02:28:38 PM »
Maybe Princeton should open a law school and allow me to attend.

latech

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 02:32:15 PM »
If my history is correct... I think it did open a law school and it didn't work out and they closed it soon after.  So... maybe not, or at least it wouldn't for a while.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 02:41:53 PM »
I think that Princeton would rise pretty quickly if they set their admissions criteria high enough.
You know that there would be a lot of people willing to be the "first" class of Princeton law.  And I think they could set the bar high using that, and then build from there.

Gitmo Jones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 02:46:33 PM »
Actually Princeton only had a law school for a few years in the 1840s if I am remember correctly.  They thought about it in the 1970's and decided against it. But I would be willing to bet they could steal some great profs from other schools and they would never ever be ranked outside Tier one even in their first ever rankings.