Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Criminal Record... what to expect  (Read 6386 times)

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Criminal Record... what to expect
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 12:01:27 AM »
But, DontQuestionMe, you seem to be ignoring the indisputable FACT that Budlaw MUST be right because he punctuates his posts with ALLCAPS whereas you, at least initially, managed to respond more calmly :) 

It is just unreal, because Illinois is known as one of the easiest states in the country to get an expungment. I had some stupid stuff on my record. It did not stop me from getting into T1 law schools, it will not stop me gaining admission to the bar or anything else. I got an expungment, I wrote my addendums, I fessed up, I sought the advice of legal counsel, turns out, none of these items which were freaking me out are a big deal.

It isn't like the OP is a convicted sex offender, murderer, drug kingpin, etc. These are stupid misdemeanor mistakes young people make. I not only know from personal experience Budlaw is wrong, but I have spoken to Character and Fitness board members in two states who have told me he is wrong. The guy simply does not know what he is talking about.

Lawyers are not perfect people. Everyone makes stupid mistakes when they are young. A misdemeanor pot bust and MIP are not something ANYONE cares about! I know NORML lawyers who openly advocate and USE marijuana. I personally know people who have put marijuana use on their Character and Fitness disclosure sheet, without a problem, it happens in California all of the time.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 11:46:52 AM »

And one more thing. Getting a record expunged in Illinois isn't so easy.

You retard, I just had something expunged in Illinois and it took all of about 30 seconds for a judge to the sign the order, the order to be sent off to the state police, local police and city attorney. You are such a fricken joke. Stop giving advice you retard. I didn't even have to supply background information or tell the Judge why I wanted the expungment. I am seriously laughing at you right now. You are an idiot.

You're the idiot. If your dumba$$ would have looked at the links I posted you would have seen that you can't get a pot possession record expunged in Illinois until 5 years after you get off of supervision.

You're the joke. I'm sorry you want to be right about everything, but you're too big of an idiot to see that you're wrong.

So are you trying to say that the OP won't have a more difficult time? You're a tool. Anytime you have anything on your record they look at it more harshly. Just because its "not a big deal" in Michigan doesn't mean it won't be in some jurisdictions. Once again, READ MY POST. I said the OP would have a more difficult time. I didn't say it was impossible to be admitted.

God you're an idiot.

And again, I'm not a 1L you f*cking retard. I just graduated and I'm studying for the bar. Once again READ before you spout off.

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 02:08:06 PM »

You retard, I just had something expunged in Illinois and it took all of about 30 seconds for a judge to the sign the order, the order to be sent off to the state police, local police and city attorney. You are such a fricken joke. Stop giving advice you retard. I didn't even have to supply background information or tell the Judge why I wanted the expungment. I am seriously laughing at you right now. You are an idiot.

You're the idiot. If your dumba$$ would have looked at the links I posted you would have seen that you can't get a pot possession record expunged in Illinois until 5 years after you get off of supervision.

You're the joke. I'm sorry you want to be right about everything, but you're too big of an idiot to see that you're wrong.

So are you trying to say that the OP won't have a more difficult time? You're a tool. Anytime you have anything on your record they look at it more harshly. Just because its "not a big deal" in Michigan doesn't mean it won't be in some jurisdictions. Once again, READ MY POST. I said the OP would have a more difficult time. I didn't say it was impossible to be admitted.

God you're an idiot.

And again, I'm not a 1L you f*cking retard. I just graduated and I'm studying for the bar. Once again READ before you spout off.

Had you graduated from anything you would not be engaging in this argument. You have been proven wrong time and again. So, I am calling you out as a liar.  ;D

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 07:15:14 PM »

God you're an idiot.

Had you graduated from anything you would not be engaging in this argument. You have been proven wrong time and again. So, I am calling you out as a liar.  ;D

It's hard to be wrong when I'm basing my arguments on factual information that is readily available and in print form.  ;D

In any event, it was a waste of my time to even try to argue facts and logic with someone like yourself. Hence, my not responding to your post until now.

Enjoy your life of being a complete tool.  :-*

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2008, 01:55:01 PM »
What would happen to someone who got busted with a small about of marijuana while already attending law school? What about furnishing alcohol to underages (over 18 but under 21)?

Just curious, since these are very typical laws for people in their 20's to break but don't seem to be that big of deals compared to most other crimes.
_______
.|E|R|S.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 09:36:16 AM »

Seriously, though, it is f-ing RIDICULOUS that people get criminal records for posession of marijuana.  I hope you remember that when you become a lawyer.

Having and consuming marijuana is currently against the law, which is democratically created in our society.  That's why possessing it gets people criminal records.  I hope you remember that when you become a lawyer.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 09:40:15 AM »
If it makes you feel any better, consider that most of the addcoms have probably broken marijuana and alcohol laws when they were younger (if they're not still doing it, as many professional people do) they just didn't get caught.  Its not like theft or assault or heroin trafficing or any sort of crime that anyone but a conservative takes very seriously and most admissions people are not conservatives. 

Most conservatives don't take pot that seriously.  Most conservatives believe in individual freedom, unlike liberals, who want to take away your cigarettes, and control all aspects of your life, including your speech.

You need to do some community work. Maybe tell kids about the dangers of drug use.

There aren't any substantial dangers from pot use...

...except getting arrested for engaging in a totally victimless activity...

And killing your brain cells.  And ruining your health.  And giving you cancer.  And causing you to kill people (and yourself) while driving. Etc.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2008, 09:43:43 AM »
God I can't imagine what a joke an outpatient program for a drug that causes no chemical dependence or withdraw syndromes,

Actually, many marijuana addicts do experience withdrawal symptoms, and have a very difficult time quitting it. I'm talking about personal friends.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2008, 09:50:40 AM »
1.  Don'tquestionme is an idiot.

2.  Expungement may or my not be a positive step, but it won't matter that much for the C&F Bar folks -- you'll still have to report it, etc.

3.  When you're applying for the Bar, this will be 4 years old.  You can then make the "young and dumb" argument. 

I don't see this being a major problem.  Make sure you keep your nose clean until you pass the bar, but if you do, you should be fine.  But yeah, any criminal activity is best avoided before passing the bar, as a general principle.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2008, 01:08:38 PM »

And killing your brain cells.  And ruining your health.  And giving you cancer.  And causing you to kill people (and yourself) while driving. Etc.

You know Lindbergh, I generally take your side on this board, but I really have to disagree with these assertions. Based on the research I have done, marijuana doesn't kill brain cells -- it just paralyzes some temporarily until the chemical wears off a few days later. I also have never encountered any evidence that marijuana users have an increased risk for cancer; CNN ran a story online a few months ago stating as much. This may be due to the chemical nature of pot or the fact that pot smokers generally smoke much, much less of it than a cigarette smoker smokes of tobacco over a lifetime. And finally, while driving under the influence of marijuana undoubtedly affects one's driving skills, the driving impairment is much less than alcohol (because marijuana has little effect on reflexes) and probably comparable or less than driving while angry, while taking a sip of a drink, eating fries, etc. Also, from the research I have done, marijuana withdrawal can happen but is extremely mild compared to other drugs. Withdrawal symptoms typically include sleeplessness and crankiness but not much else; this is about the same severity as caffeine.

So is pot bad? Yeah, but only a little. I don't personally smoke it, but would fight for its legalization.
_______
.|E|R|S.