Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELP where can i get in??  (Read 1246 times)

Mori

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: HELP where can i get in??
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 09:56:02 PM »
Does the application explicitly ask you if you are an URM? Or does it just ask you for race/ethnic classification? I haven't seen anywhere on the application where it asks you designate yourself as an URM. Nor a definition.

Also, what does Latin mean??? Im half middle eastern, and my mother is half italian/half british...am i also 25% latin? :\

"URM for law school admissions purposes means black, Mexican, Puerto Rican, or Native-American only"

Can you please cite this source?

LSN

"Congrats - you'll be the feminine hygiene product non trad gunner who everyone hates" -
Lollypotter

richardblaine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 10:43:03 PM »
"URM for law school admissions purposes means black, Mexican, Puerto Rican, or Native-American only"

Can you please cite this source?

Thanks

From the Grutter v. Bollinger decision that upheld Michigan Law School's AA practices:

The University of Michigan Law School (Law School), one of the Nation's top law schools, follows an official admissions policy that seeks to achieve student body diversity through compliance with Regents of Univ. of Cal. v. Bakke, 438 U. S. 265. Focusing on students' academic ability coupled with a flexible assessment of their talents, experiences, and potential, the policy requires admissions officials to evaluate each applicant based on all the information available in the file, including a personal statement, letters of recommendation, an essay describing how the applicant will contribute to Law School life and diversity, and the applicant's undergraduate grade point average (GPA) and Law School Admissions Test (LSAT) score. Additionally, officials must look beyond grades and scores to so-called "soft variables," such as recommenders' enthusiasm, the quality of the undergraduate institution and the applicant's essay, and the areas and difficulty of undergraduate course selection. The policy does not define diversity solely in terms of racial and ethnic status and does not restrict the types of diversity contributions eligible for "substantial weight," but it does reaffirm the Law School's commitment to diversity with special reference to the inclusion of African-American, Hispanic, and Native-American students, who otherwise might not be represented in the student body in meaningful numbers.

It has been posted on this forum and elswhere that "Hispanic" only refers to those of Mexican or Puerto Rican descent in terms of being underrepresented, and I seem to remember some reputable sources for these assertions.  However, after doing some digging I've only found sources confirming this in terms of medical school admissions.

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 11:01:05 PM »
But doesn't Grutter say that (public) schools can't arbitrarily add weight for being of X race, and have to view the candidate holistically, contribution to diversity, etc? Isn't that why they ask candidates to write diversity statements?

(Of course, for private schools, that decision is irrelevant, but good luck getting a private school to say, "Sure, we give bonus points for being __!")

That aside, are you saying that Hondurans (for example) are NOT under-represented in the legal community? I'd be surprised if that was the case.

Personal advice to OP: Don't count on being 1/4 Hispanic to get you in, but certainly do spend some time on the diversity statement and make it sound compelling. Your GPA is very good, so I would also second the advice to re-take in October if that seems feasible. I wouldn't be surprised if you got in some really top schools with money if you had an LSAT score that matched the rest of your profile.
UVA Law Class of 2011