Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Gift for letter writers  (Read 625 times)

Orbits

• View Profile
    • Email
Gift for letter writers
« on: June 25, 2008, 09:01:33 PM »
What does the etiquette book say about this? I had 2 professor write me a LOR for a summer internship and the same 2 write LORs for transferring. I feel quite indebted to them since LORs are not easy to write. I remember people talking about this when I was applying out of undergrad...but I guess they took away the search option on this site?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Gift for letter writers
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 10:14:10 PM »
You could maybe write a thank you note and include a gift card for a nice local restaurant.

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 01:33:19 PM »
What does the etiquette book say about this? I had 2 professor write me a LOR for a summer internship and the same 2 write LORs for transferring. I feel quite indebted to them since LORs are not easy to write. I remember people talking about this when I was applying out of undergrad...but I guess they took away the search option on this site?

People seem to feel very strongly about this.  One group says a token gift is appropriate.  The other says that it's completely inappropriate because it's part of their job to do this and can be sticky for a professor to receive gifts in return for doing something that is part of their job, it may call into question their ethics with their colleagues- I'm a member of this group.  I sent my recommenders hand-written thank-you notes and plan on keeping touch with occasional emails/drop-ins and will send them a postcard from the school I end up at to say thank-you once more.

The search option is on the homepage. ;)

anniehall

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 06:16:05 PM »
I always bake a banana bread and send it to them in a nicely wrapped package with a note (cookies also work well).  That way they don't feel like there's been a transaction involved but they know I'm appreciative of their efforts.

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 06:28:28 PM »
I always bake a banana bread and send it to them in a nicely wrapped package with a note (cookies also work well).  That way they don't feel like there's been a transaction involved but they know I'm appreciative of their efforts.

Eloise- this is a great idea & a far more personal way to show your thanks!